Monday, March 28, 2005

The Great Brisbane CBD Running Games Begin! *L*

Forcibly dragged myself out of bed this morning after a sincere effort to ignore the two alarms I set for myself, and went and met my friend Kieran for a run. He runs quite a bit quicker than me but was happy enough to slow down to my pace, since he also runs on a monday night, crazy boy (!) even so, we went a little quicker than normal which was probably a good thing - made me push myself.

No idea how far we went in terms of kms, but we went southbank-victoria bridge-accross bridge-city-goodwill bridge-southbank, and it took us 45 minutes. If we were doing 6:00 pace (felt faster than that!) we'd have done about 7km I think. Forgot to use bodyglide this morning too which I'm now paying for *winces* (so easy to forget how much difference it makes!)

As we were running, we came up with a game to amuse ourselves - as anyone who runs the bikepaths around bris will know, there are always heaps of cyclists whizzing past. Early in the morning it seems to be predominantly 'serious' people in matching lycra gear. Now, I'm sure there are lots of very lovely cyclists out there, but there are quite a few that seem to dislike runners (I suppose they think we get in the way or something, even though we always move out of the road to let them by). The game involves dividing the run into 'territories' consisting of 1km zones along the bike path. Then, you say 'good morning' to each cyclist you pass. If they smile you get 1 point, if they grunt, you get 2 points and if they actually say 'morning' back to you, you get 3 points. The winner is the person with the most points by the end of the run. *snorks* It probably sounds a lot more funny in person, but we had a lot of fun trying to get grumpy cyclists to speak! Kieran thinks we should add bonus points if you can get another runner to join your run *L* but I think we might have to wait til I speed up a bit for that to work!

I think my monday runs are going to be quite key in increasing my distances - we're also running on friday, but I think next monday will be the day when we start putting in some effort!

2 comments:

Aki said...

What great stuff! I'm going to play this game now. When I can run again, of course. :)

Jen said...

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your running over the next few weeks. I'm heading off on holidays next weekend and I'm looking forward to reading about your fab running achievements when I get back. You go girl !!