Friday, March 25, 2005

Easter 10k in 1:01 :)

So, I can now say I've run my first complete 10km! (save about 20 seconds at a drink stop where I slowed to a walk to avoid getting water up my nose) and I'm feeling very pleased with myself.

Heaps of people came to the run... Kieran and Alexia (who I run with on a monday and friday morning) heaps of faces from the Run Inn, Pat Carroll people and of course a fair few CoolRunners! Got to meet Rith, who was really nice. As usual, everyone was lovely and cheered me on (and I did my best between gasps to do the same for them as they passed me on the return loop!)

When I got there, Clairie announced that she was going to run slow with me in the 10k because of her hammy, bless her. Needless to say, her slow is my fast so I sneakily dropped back at the start - when we lined up, I found myself next to a guy who started running when I did on wednesday nights and so we plodded along together. My watched stopped at about 5km in, so I had no idea how we were going, but we passed a few walkers and a guy running in a full on beige dress shirt and matching shorts! By the 6k mark, my running buddy slowed to a walk and so I went on and started to push myself a bit harder.

I caught up to a couple of girls who are doing the same sorts of 5km times as me at the West End, over took them (LOL, cheap thrill!) and then realised I was closer to the end than I had thought so started geeing myself on. By that point I starting to get a bit more tired, but I knew I was nearly there and kept telling myself that I could do it. As I rounded the last corner, my friends were there, cheering me on and ran the last bit with me again. I focussed on the woman infront and set off on a sprint. Gotta love a glory dash! More yelling and cheering and general barracking, crossed the finish line, scored a chocolate egg and what do you know?

I'd completed my first ever 10km race!

I didn't quite break 60, but I know I can - I think I may have piked out slightly in the first half because I wanted to be sure I had enough juice for the last part. It's a starting point! Gotta have something to improve on! The only bad thing, is that now, instead of asking myself 'can I do 10km?' I'm asking myself, 'Can I do 21km?' LOL. Guess we'll find out in the not too distant future!

Gold Coast Half, Here I come!

10 comments:

Clairie said...

Excellent run this morning Hannah.
I so wanted to run with someone but turned on the stupid mp3 player and it kept skipping. Got me mad!!
I only went on ahead as it was really crowded that first bit. Then as soon as I got to the concrete walkway along the river Pat came up and ran beside me. Oh damn it he made me go faster!! My legs are screaming at the moment and I am very sorry I did not stay with you. I hope they have a nice little rest tomorrow before Sunday..
Great performance in your first 10km race. Goal for the year 10k - 55min. Next year.....33mins. :)

Cirque said...

Well done Hannah! I'm so happy for you. Glad to see all your hard work is paying off.

Tesso said...

Yay Hannah! Fantastic result for your first 10k race.

Just checked the BRRC calendar and there are another two 10k races - 10th April and 17th April. Reckon you can go under the 60 mins on that course.

The second one is the week after Canberra Marathon so I might even attempt to keep up with you on that one.

Horrie said...

Congratulations on your first 10km race Hannah. Great effort and I know that sub 60 is not too far away with your determination. Keep up the good work and keep enjoying your running.

Unknown said...

*wolf whistles* Love the new picture!

Well done, great run!

Replying to your comment on my blog...I don't run with NRG (I run with Run Club) but Jen does. I'm sure your friend will be welcome at either. Send me an email through CR if they want to hook up.

Aki said...

Excellent Hannah! You are really inspiring! In no time at all you will sail past that hour mark, with the April events you will most likely even do it then! Go hannah! :)

Carolyne said...

Congratulations Hannah!

You are a card-carrying runner now you have completed your first 10k. Look out everyone for Hannah at the Gold Coast Half!

Ewen said...

Congratulations Hannah! Despite what clairie said up there ^, it goes like this... sub-60 then sub-50 then sub-45 then sub-40. That last one is special. When it's done you nonchalantly say to people 'I run 30-something' for 10k. See you at the Gold Coast!

Unknown said...

Congrats! - I love hearing about your races - excellent!! I look forward to the next 10K report! I have a feeling it is going to be Clairie chasing Tesso and Skizzik chasing Hannah in the future!!

Jen said...

Congratulation Hannah ! I think Clairie is right - 55mins for the 10km should be the new goal for the rest of the year. Keep up the great work !