Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Carroll Singing...Gasping...Huffing...Puffing! LOL!

First morning with the Carrollers today... only to discover that it was the bloody 3k time trial not training! LOL! In a way it was probably a good thing that I didn't twig - if I had, I might not have gone til thursday! Saw Tesso and Clairie and we started off on the (2km?) warm up early which was good because it gave me a few minutes to recover before we started the trial.

The first km was okay, but I felt early on like I was going to be really, really slow or that I might have to slow to a walk at some point. Everyone was cheering us (me and a couple of other newbies) as they looped back the way we'd come. The second km was harder and I kept thinking, any minute I'm going to have to slow down, any minute.... but somehow I just grit my teeth and thought, bugger it - if I can run the 5km at the west end, I can do a 3km time trial, even if it does take me twice as long as everyone else. The third km was better because I knew it was the last one. I felt like I could surge a bit, but I wanted to wait til I saw the end to do that so I didnt run out of puff. The last girl who was just behind me, passed me (bugger it! LOL!) but as she went by we ran together for a minute or two and somewhere between gasping and spluttering for breath I managed to say, 'they're flying, arent they?' to which she replied 'yeah, but it's all relative - I feel like we're flying too!' and she was so right... that's one of the things I'm loving about running - the fact that there's such a positive attitude about doing your best and believing in yourself :) Getting good times is only really the icing on the cake!

Speaking of times, I'm happy to say I surprised myself - If I take my usual 6 minute pace for 5km, I was expecting to finish the 3km in about 18 minutes or so, but managed to do it in 15.32! 15.32! Can't believe it! I was last and everything and it was a snails pace compared to everyone else, but I don't care - fifteen-thirty-two! *bounces* On the last km I was thinking to myself, this is going to be shocking....maybe I need to go and get better at the 5km before I get involved with all these scarily fast people... but now I think, well, yes I'm slow but I don't care!

I can only get better!!!

4 comments:

Tesso said...

Fantastic run this morning Hannah!!! It was so exciting so see you roaring down the home straight. That is an incredible time for a first time trial.

I'm sure you are really gonna enjoy Pat's group. Such a special bunch of people, all so encouraging of eachother no matter how fast or how far you run.

Oh, and by the way the warm-up is 3k. So the total distance this morn was 8k!

Jen said...

What an awesome effort, congratulations on your fantastic result ! I'd better put in some hard core work to keep up with you ! Go girl ! I look forward to reading about your next TT, things are only going to improve for you !

Ewen said...

15:32 is bloody fantastic for a 3k Hannah! Sub-15 will be a good goal to aim for. I'm inspired by your enthusiasm for running. It really shows in your blog. What is it with some teenage runners though? Is it uncool to be enthusiastic?

Don't go crazy with the steep hills as they can be a potential injury risk. Poor Aki has suffered running up that hill.

Pat is lucky to have such keen runners! Keep blogging and running!

Aki said...

great run Hannah, andit's only the beginning of another CR legend!