Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Track (4 x 1km, fastest k=5.12)

I've decided that vitamin C is my friend - took a couple of big doses yesterday and have been feeling much more human today as a result :) The last few days I've just felt so drained... wanted to run but just couldnt find the energy. Yesterday afternoon I even crawled back into bed for a couple of hours in the afternoon! I don't do 'ill' very well - I annoy myself and anyone in the close vicinity. I'm so impatient! *L*

Anyway, all is good now it seems and tonight I went to track. We did 4 x 1km... my times sort of went something like 5:34, 5:37, 5:39 and then finished on 5:12! Mind you, I did have Joan pacing me through them which helped, particularly on the last effort.

I think I go faster on the last part of whatever I run because the end is in sight. Maybe it's also mental conditioning - I still don't trust myself to be able to go faster, earlier - on some level, I'm still expecting myself to conk out before the end... the only way to test the theory is to just to try going faster, earlier I suppose and stop saving it all up til the very end. Everyone keeps telling me that consistency is the key to track.

I have to say, I really like sprinting... There's something really enjoyable about running flat out like that... throwing all your effort into all your muscles, getting them working in unison, pumping away, the excitement of being neck and neck with someone else.... maybe it's just the fact that I seem to be able to go much faster in a shorter sprint than any longer distance. Who knows!

I took my water bottle with me tonight after taking it straight out of the dishwasher, which had just finished it's cycle. I realised during track that it hadnt been rinsed properly when I got a mouthful of detergent flavoured water. Bleurgh! Still, at least my insides are now lemon fresh!

1 comment:

Clairie said...

LOL. Go the lemon fresh insides ha ha

Great track work - always helps you improve on the speed. Hope to see you out tomorrow at the 10km Easter Fun Run in the gardens.