Sunday, June 12, 2005

5kms, gunk and 2.8kgs to go!

I can't believe how much having one tiny little cold can affect your running. I'm pretty much better now, but yesterday afternoon I went out and hit the bike path, meaning to try and run from my place to the city. Big mistake! I had nooo energy and the gunk from the cold made it hard to breath properly as I ran. I ended up admitting defeat and walked most of it instead. I think I did about 10km all up. Must've done something, since this morning my glutes ached from the effort. They're probably atrophied after a week of sitting on my arse!

Today the West End run was on, so I headed down there to do the 10km. Optimistically, I thought once I got into my stride, I'd be able to just push through the end of the cold and do it if I went slow. By 4km I was struggling, so I called it a day at 5km. Yuck. My time was awful too - 29:?? ish, the slowest I've been in ages. Mind you, it probably wasnt helped by the two minutes I spent halfway round, having to take my shoe and sock off to get the bloody cockroach out of it. I can honestly say there is nothing quite as disgusting as having a small cold creepy crawly working its way down to your toes. Gross!

After the run, caught up with Tesso and Clairie and heard amusing drinking stories. Am thinking of joining the Brisbane Running Buddies for their saturday morning runs - could do with another long run during the week to increase my mileage a bit. Probably won't be until after the Gold Coast now (three weeks today, argh!) but I am vowing to go back to doing track then too. I want to maximise my chances of improving my times.

My drop-5kg-before-the-goldcoast campaign is going reasonably well although on revision, 5kgs might be a little too ambitious in three weeks! Have taken off 2kgs of carbo loading over-enthusiasm from the Doomben Half though I knew that first bit would come off easily. Target weight for GC is currently set at 75kgs. To motivate myself, I'm going to include my current weight on my entries. Might just keep me honest and be the little bit of motivation I need to get me there!

start weight: 79kgs
current weight: 77.8kgs
amount left to lose: 2.8kgs

4 comments:

Chelle said...

Wow, thats a huge amount of weight loss in a short time, well done!
You should definitely consider coming down on a Saturday. The runs are a lot of fun & a great source of running (and otherwise ;)) information! Breaky at the end is a great incentive too!

miners said...

Hey Hannah - thanks for your kind thoughts (the race report's now up).
Congrats on your weight loss! I'm actually trying otdo the same myself for GC - have another 3kgs to lose hopefully. How much did the cockroach weigh?

Tesso said...

Hannah

Can't wait until you come and join us on Saturdays - its a great crowd to do the long runs with, not to mention chatting over coffee/brekky at the end.

Hey, hope you crushed that cocky just like our boys are going to do to a whole team of them on Wednesday night :-)

Anonymous said...

I have some great ideas :) Nevermind. Next time.