Sunday, November 20, 2005

Noosa pic and 300m freestyle



Got my Noosa pic - I think the expression on my face says it all *L* Paiiinnnn! *L* I'm also quite amazed to see that it looks like I've got the start of some muscles these days!

I feel pretty good after yesterday's effort, although I'm still a bit tired. My legs aren't as sore as they have been, although no doubt tomorrow will be the decider! I'd really like to have a go at doing a longer distance now as well. I've been mucking around with the idea of doing a 30km run for ages, so perhaps I'll have a go at that next time. My long runs should really start being, well, long! I think I've decided that I'll make the Gold Coast my first full Marathon - too much going on through April for me to do Canberra - my abstract got accepted for a conference in Atlanta, so if I get funding for that, I may be away for a week or two.

Ladies and Gentleman, went to the pool this morning and -*drumroll*- I swam 300m non stop freestyle! Slowly, but psychologically I feel better about it now :) Now all I have to do is get quicker. I discovered that if I wear an old pair of nike bikepants underneath my swimming costume, it's equivalent to what I assume vaguely resembles a tri-suit and the drag of the water doesnt yank on them too much. I do look slightly like a very bad 80s aerobics queen - at least the shorts and the cossie are the same colour though!

6 comments:

Lulu said...

Yay, go Hannah. 300 metres is a big jump from 50m. I can definitely see muscles on them there legs too!

miners said...

Hey great swim Hannah! And a great recovery after the tough run yesterday.

The swimming costume/trisuit sounds like it worked well. Would be interesting to see if it's comfortable on the bike though - might have some chafing spots.

And as to your elastic laces query - I LOVE THEM! I actually never use anything else. Apart from the advantage of not having to tie laces in the morning, I find they give me a good fit and a *consistent* fit as they're set at the same tension every time.

HOWEVER, I don't know if it's good to wear elastic laces all the time (even though I do). I've heard from a few sources that you should have a tighter fit for training - maybe ask Steve the Footman? Having said that, I don't think his advice would sway me against using them!

Jen said...

Woohoo. Congratulations Hannah - that is a huge improvement in a really short period of time. Awesome effort !

J

Tesso said...

Great Noosa pic Hannah. See, you do look like a runner!

Gold Coast instead of Canberra hey. Both are as good as eachother as a choice of first marathons. And GC gives you an extra 10 weeks or so to train. Though by the way you are going I can see you'll be ready for the GC 100k by July!

Friar said...

Can I detect Special Socks.

We should all try to look good when running, the Cool Running Gear certainly helps.

Tamyka Bell said...

I have to say, that's a very good race face you've got there - you told us you put in, and now you've produced the evidence :)