Thursday, November 10, 2005

feeling better, 500k and Bribie Tri?

Woke up this morning feeling vaguely human again, aside from a bit of a headache. Yesterday my kidneys were really sore and aching all day, so much so that I almost ended up at the Doctors, but woke up this morning feeling pretty much fine, except for a bit of a headache, so hurrah, I think I'm on the mend! Had PT this morning, did weights again. I still can't believe I'm bench pressing 40kgs - I remember so clearly struggling with 20kgs!

Last night I did go to running club but decided just to run with the slowest group. We did about 40 minutes with a few walk breaks and once I got going, I felt fine. Really should've gone with the next lot up, but had decided to take it easy. A new girl came last night and she's similar to me in speed, so we had a bit of a hit out in the last km to get our heart rates up a bit. At the end, I still felt like I'd piked out even though I knew it was sensible to take it easy - wanted to do it all again. Funny how much it hurts to really push yourself and how you question why you do it to yourself, but then when you slack off a bit, you crave that sensation. Or at least, I do... I like feeling like I couldn't have worked any harder if I'd tried.

Anyway, it was probably good for me to take it easy and may well benefit me on the weekend. I'm still planning to run with the running buddies on saturday, though will probably be a slacko effort again before attempting to smash my 10k effort on the sunday.

Looks like I may end up running the 500k relay next weekend too - they're one runner short - I'm sort of torn about doing it because I promised Sam I'd run 25k with her before Kurruwa and we'd planned it for next saturday, but we'll see. Also had a chat with one of the girls at running last night about the local triathlon club (at Enoggera) so I really should ring the guy who runs it and see if I'd be up to getting involved. I'm contemplating doing one of the enticer tri's at Bribie - there's one at the beginning of December, one in February. I don't own a bike, so that's my next challenge - finding one! I'd like to buy one, but there's no way I'll be able to do that til the new year. Money is decidedly tight again!

7 comments:

Tesso said...

Hannah, I think you made the right move by going with the slow group last night, considering how you've been feeling the last day or so. But I understand what you say about craving that pain sensation. We runners are wierd.

Oh, and you are allowed to do a 'slacko' effort on Saturday morn before the 10k on Sunday.

Clairie said...

Hi Hannah,

Did anyone tell you we are running Mount Cootha this Saturday???

GULP

Thought I'd let you know.

BTW I have a mountain bike you can borrow for your tri's. Let me know if you want to have a go on it for training.

I can't believe you bench press 40kg!!! That is massive.
Is that 40kg PLUS the bar??? WOW.

How many reps do you do with that much weight??

Jen said...

I feel the same way too Hannah. If I'm not completely and utterly shattered (so that the idea of walking back to the car is just too hard to comprehend), then I haven't worked hard enough. Sick aren't we - but don't you just love that feeling of exhaustion

:-)

J.

miners said...

yay - another tri convert!

Cirque said...

Hey Hannah. The Cirquelets are thinking of doing the Bribie tri too. Probably the Feb one as we can't make the December one. We may be going to watch it anyway so let me know if you want to come with us.

TA and the Gnome said...

Hannah, Beg, borrow or steal a bike. Those enticer Tri's are great fun (I know I can watch 'em all day!), and they're short enough that you can get the feel without getting totally overwhelmed. Go for it.

sfG

Wobbly man said...

Just borrow a bike for a while - they are hideously expensive things to buy these days.