Wednesday, November 16, 2005

10km run

Went swimming again yesterday, did 1100m though again with the 100m freestyle-then-bust woe. Prompted by Lulu's comment (thankyou, Lulu! :) I decided to do a bit of research on technique and have decided to try and focus on getting that better rather than increasing distance. I'm approaching it in the same way as I did running. Instead of jog-walk-jog-walk, I'm doing freestyle-breast stroke-freestyle-breastroke. Hopefully the breast stroke intervals will get less!

Today I paid for the Tri - *gulp* - no escape now!

Went running tonight with the Run Inn crowd. Went with the faster group again, thinking, wow, this isn't as hard as last time, only to realise they were all on an easy run because they're doing the 500k relay this weekend! dammit, LOL! Finished feeling like I wanted more - has to be a good sign. I'm trying not to feel yuck about my backsliding times lately - I know it's the weather, but I hate feeling like I'm going backwards in my running rather than forwards. It'll be interesting to see what I'm like when I go over to the UK for a few weeks to the freezing cold weather!

Finished reading the Hal Higdon marathon book that Tracey gave me. I'm feeling all inspired all round, really. I think my eyes are bigger than my stomach (or rather my brain, my legs!) in terms of all the running things I want to have a go at next year and beyond. Next year is definitely marathon year. After that, I think I may venture toward the (as Tesso called it) dark side and see what other horrific sounding running events I could enter ;) anything that sounds undoable is instantly appealing to me! Looking much, much further ahead, 100 miles sounds like a nice round number....

On saturday morning at the Running Buddies, Sam and I are going to have a Kurrawa decider run where we'll do the 25km and see how we cope (or rather, how I'll cope in the heat, seeing as she's much better at running than me) if it's awful, I don't think we'll do it to ourselves. We're going to start early, at 5am so we finish with everyone else. Having seen just how much the heat affects me, I'm not feeling that keen on half killing myself to do Kurruwa. Though, it'd be good fun I think with everyone there! Mnnn.

Tomorrow the great clothing-i-can-swim-bike-run-in experimentation continues.

4 comments:

Lulu said...

Sounds like an exciting year ahead! I know what you mean about going backwards, it's always depressing. I had a shocker today myself.

Tesso said...

OMG Hannah, 100 miles!!!! Makes my goals sound not so much the 'dark side' but the 'fading light side'.

Good luck with your 25k on Saturday. Starting at 5am is the way to go, easing into the heat. I reckon that at this time of year its almost easier to run for 3 hours from 5am than it is to do 2 hours from 6am.


PS Sorry, gotta say it again ... OMG Hannah, 100 miles!!!!!

miners said...

Great to see you keen with the tris Hannah

With the clothes shopping, have a look at the websites for orca, jaggad, cannibal and zoot for a start (they're all www.__.com.au)eyeline and speedo also sell some stuff. Ideally, you want to be comfortable in the one set of clothing for the entire race if you can. So either a 1-piece tri suit, or a mix of tri-top and tri-shorts is the best bet. A tri-suit will cost anywhere between $120-$180. Individual tri top and shorts might cost a little less. You probably want to get specific tri-shorts as they have a little chamois (which you won't notice in the swim or run, but does give you a little padding for the bike). You might find some bargains on ebay (I bought some zoot tri-shorts recently from US ebay for $35 AUS incl postage)

Think hard about what distances you want to do, and "where" you want to race. If you're only going to race in Qld, then you won't get to a stage of wearing a wetsuit for a swim (although they help a lot in keeping you afloat!) If that's the case, you ideally want a tri-top that doesn's have rear pockets as they can drag in the water a little bit. However, if you want to one day run a longer distance tri, you might want pockets in the back for gels etc...

Lots to consider - if you need a hand, or some advice with anything at all, just email me ok? :)

Jen said...

Go Hannah go!!!! OMG, 100 miles. You can count on the CR cheersquad to be there when you cross to the dark side :-)

J.