Monday, July 11, 2005

PT session and knotted moans

Foot still sore and am now limping like a pirate. For some reason I can't help but poke the sore parts from time to time to see if they're any better, which probably isnt helping matters! Did a good solid core weights session... had shakey legs from it so it must've been good.

Had a long chat with my PT about my foot and he pointed out that I turn my knees in when I'm training (he's forever correcting me) so I probably do it running as well. Makes sense actually, because I quite frequently clip my ankles with my feet when I run and am starting to suspect that my bad habits may be why my foot is sore. That said, I've been running six months without a problem (shhh! fatal last words, I know!) so maybe its just time I got new shoes. Which I will.

Had a brief talk about podiatrists and orthotics, but after a bit of discussion, decided to try and work on my core muscle strength more, so that I don't turn my knees in so much and hopefully that will go some way to improving my running technique. I really don't want to have to resort to orthotics unless absolutely necessary.... have some highly unattractive exercises to do every day so I'll give them a whirl.

I've also got some serious knots under my shoulder blades from tensing my shoulders as I run too - so all in all, I feel like I'm kinked up and off kilter! I always thought most runners adopt their technique from the way they naturally run, but I think I need to stop running 'naturally' and start really looking at my form before I end up inside out and back to front!

Tomorrow I was going to do track, depends on my foot I guess! *fingers crossed!*

1 comment:

Cirque said...

Don't you just hate that urge to poke the sore bits? I keep doing little test jogs on mine just to check whether it's really still hurting.
Hope it's better for your session tomorrow.