Monday, July 25, 2005

Bugger

Went to see the podiatrist at InTraining today. Apparently I've managed to get not just one injury but two - "Plantar Fasciitis" and "Petroneus Brevis Tendonitis" which both sound very exotic (they should be cocktails or geraniums or something) but aren't too bad in comparison to some of the things I read about with similar symptoms! I've got a follow up in two weeks, have to take anti-inflammatories for ten days, ice and stretch every day and (the bit I wasn't too impressed with) I can't run for another five days. Waaaaa. After that however, I can have one run of 30-40 minutes max. Therefore, I'm thinking the west end 5km on the 31st might be the go, although more as a chance to stretch my legs than get a decent time.

I'm thinking postively about this, in that it could be worse - I could have had to take months off. Five days isn't a great deal in the scheme of things and if all goes to plan, I'll be back on track in time for Noosa. For the time being, I don't need orthotics, either! (Huzzah! I don't think my mastercard could take the strain!) Also, the Podiatrist was beautiful (Kent, his name is ;) and having tasty men play with my feet always lifts a girls spirits :)

So, I'm hereby dedicating this week to copious amounts of stretching, pilates, yoga, spin and swimming instead... I'll worry about my kms next week :)

5 comments:

Aki said...

I did yoga and swimming while injured too and I think that helped me massively. You're in this running thing for the long haul, and injuries can be a part of it unfortunately. Smoe CRs have mentioned to me that a fortnight off here means avoiding 6 months off later. The time will pass quickly and you'll be running again.

CJ said...

It is a bugger. I had plantar fasciitis not long after I started running and was off for about 3 months. Mind you, I completely ignored the symptoms because I didn't know what it was and thought it would go away. Huh! So you're doing the right thing :-)

Lulu said...

That is a bugger! I had PF and was off for months as I ignored it for ages like CJ. I ended up having some acupuncture on mine which hurt like #$@#% but it was a last resort! I also had to sleep with a very strange ski boot like device on my foot for a few weeks.. that went down well with Mr Lulu LOL

Clairie said...

I was diagnosed with PF - took a week off and then spent a week on grass. All better!

BTW - yes that Kent is doll *drool*

See you at BRRC :)

Unknown said...

Sorry about this Hannah,
I can't get your email addy as my email program is on the blink...
Going to have a few drinks (coffee type) tonight, meeting at InTraining at 7pm"ish" - can you come?
Email me and i will tell you the occassion.
Mel
PS: Sorry to hear about the days off - rest and then you can get back to it!