Sunday, July 10, 2005

14km in 82mins + Marshalling

West End this morning - hurray for me, I survived the 14k due in no small part to the lovely Adrian and Schultzy pacing me through at various parts of the run. Really nice of them to do that for me considering how much slower I am than them. Felt like stopping several times, but somehow didn't and came in in 82 minutes, so just under six minute pace :) Soooo happy.

Seem to have cracked the problem I had the last few months with running just before 'that' time of the month and being crippled with violent stomach cramps - the secret is taking two ibuprofen, ten minutes before the run.... stops the cramps and meant I could feel it but instead of doubling over, I could just run through it. So very pleased with that little discovery!

Unfortunately, my foot is worse after this mornings run - having a rest day tomorrow (doing PT instead) so hopefully that'll fix whatever it is that is wrong - feels a bit like I've sprained it or something. Not happy Jan. Might also have something to do with the fact that I've just worked out that in the last 15 days, I've run 78kms (18kms more than usual). Oops. Broken that 10% rule there somewhere, although spread out on my calendar it doesnt seem too excessive!

After the run, Skizzik and I headed off to volunteer at the Adventure Race we were planning to do today - very glad we did volunteer before actually doing it because we came away with a list of tips and tricks for making it all run just a little bit smoother. Had excellent chats with Skiz and we gossiped our way through the afternoon and watched all the most stunningly beautiful male competitors fly through the bush. Even the other marshalls were gorgeous! There were some huge bike stacks, one occurring right infront of us, where a guy on a bike breaked hard and came to a full stop without warning and his team mate barrelled straight into him from behind... blood and expletives were free flowing, but they hopped back up and kept going. Another guy had a major stack and cut his chin down to the bone - he kept going too! The Kayaking looked hugely amusing with one or two newbies paddling themselves round in circles down the river :) I can't wait to find out how we go at it *LOL*

The whole thing was pretty well organised and is becoming really, really popular - there were over 100 competitors today. Looks like heaps of fun and Skiz and I thought it would be fantastic to get a CR adventure race going! Might be a goer when it's a bit warmer though - this morning was just absolutely freezing and I didn't take my four layers off all day! All in all, it was heaps of fun :)

3 comments:

Tesso said...

Congrats on a great run Hannah. Sub 6 min pace for 14k, soon you'll be doing it for 21k!

What a fantastic finish too, you had the whole crowd yelling. Ha ha, did you notice they were all chanting for you and not Schultzy when you guys were sprinting to the line.

Aki said...

Nice time Hannah, I trust you took your watch with you. :)

Sounds like a good day.

Unknown said...

Tip: Next time trip that Schultzy guy....
thanks for the company Sunday - the sights were great and it was great spending time with you!