Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Oh...My.... God......

Yesterday I ran 5km at the gym on a treadmill, which said I was going slower than my usual 6:00 minute k plod. I think treadmills must be calibrated differently because the ones at the new gym are really hard and I was doing speed intervals in that too. It took me about 34 minutes! I did the west end 5km on sunday in 27:33 so 34 minutes is so not right. I was sweating like hell too. Bah!

Long run tonight was 15km because people wanted to watch the football... it was a nice run - beautiful clear cool night - not too cold and the moon was just stunning - heavy and low and gold. I don't know if I've ever mentioned this before, but I'm Pagan and so the moon has a sort of religious significance to me, so to have her right there as I ran was pretty special. I found a bit of a rhythym tonight in my footfalls and tuned into the repeat of five beats, over and over. Worked really well and kept me going, so I think I'll try and utilise that at Doomben. The Jasmin was out in full force too and made for a lovely waft of scent as we passed by houses. I also lost count of the number of times I jumped sideways as people's dogs threw themselves at the fence.... I just can't help myself but scream expletives at the same time!

Speaking of the Queensland Half... now, don't fall off your seats laughing here....

you know how I said I was going to take it really slow and walk where I need, not put any pressure on myself? Well, muggins here has been roped into being a BLOODY PACER *snorks* for the 2:30 group. Thankfully not on my own but with Tracey who runs at the same speed as me and has been running for a longer time, but still... here's me not even knowing if I can do the whole thing, now pacing other people... LOL. The gods have an interesting sense of humour, that's for sure! At least 2:30 is a little bit slower than I thought I'd do, so maybe it's good to have that sense of structure there. Did I mention I'm terrified?

Anyway, tonight re-motivated me to sort myself out a bit. I think I'll go back to track next week... start anew, work on my speed, build up my distances and endurance for the long term... may even attempt to run mount cootha at some point - if only I knew where the best track for running up it is - should ask around (and will, no doubt)

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Hannah, that's great news about you being a pacer!!!

Although it is a bit scary, you will absolutely love the experience. I remember when I did it at Noosa last year I was more nervous than if I was racing! But then I reckon I got more of a high out of it too.

Make sure you check out that thread that's currently going on the CR messageboard about pacing, lots of useful tips in there.

See ya at BRRC on Sunday maybe.

miners said...

Hey pacer girl - you're stepping up in the world! See how much confidence in you other people have?

I know you'll be fine pacing along with your friend. And with others relying on you, you may totally forget the hurdles that you're worried about crossing on your own. As Tesso said, there's a thread in CR worth reading. Best of luck with the rest of the training (and the japanese boys)