Wednesday, May 11, 2005

18kms (and eating gravel!)

Ladies and Gentlmen - first the good news. I ran 18kms tonight! Happy, happy me - especially considering what happened during the run!

The not-so-good news is that I took my first major swan dive tonight. I got to about 10kms and didn't lift my foot high enough to clear an uneven cement slab on the pavement... consequently, I fell flat on my face and was going too fast to get both hands out infront of me. Managed to get one hand out which I promptly skinned, before landing squarely on my chin and splitting it open. It was all quite spectacular there for a moment - chins must be like head wounds - they bleed spectacularly even when it's a minor wound because there was blood down my face, my chest and through my hand. Anyway, after a brief ten minute stop and much mopping up of chinny chin chin I was more annoyed at the fact that I thought I'd ruined our 18km effort than the fact that not only did I take a chunk out of my face, I have a job interview tomorrow and I'm now going to have to go to that with steri-strips on my face and no doubt some fantastic bruising that has yet to appear.

I'm okay now, but the jarring of it means that I can feel the roots of all my bottom teeth and the whole area is quietly throbbing to itself. Lucky for me, my mother is a nurse and so I got her to pick all the gravel out of it. Luckily it didnt need stitches, so she just pulled it closed and fixed it there.

I got back to the shop and after making sure I was okay, we had a nice round of amusing I-remember-when stories about falling arse over tit while running. Made me feel better anyway (and less like a giant klutz for not picking my feet up more!) I'm still no where near competing with Schultzy's 18 stitches at the Lest We Forget Run - and at least I was running at the time ;)

I went and had my 'cellular analysis' done today - interesting stuff - apparently, my muscle mass is the best she's seen in ages... 97.2% active or something.... the down side is that apparently, I still need to lose 13kgs! 13kgs! Quite where I'm going to lose 13 kgs from, I don't know... five or six, fair enough. But 13 seems a little excessive! I think I'll just carry on with the healthy eating and see where I end up. I'm sooo not going to starve myself just to hit a certain number. Bah!

Anyway, I'm going to bed. My chin is throbbing.

18kms! Woo!

Night.

2 comments:

Jen said...

OMG, you poor thing !! Hope you are feeling better - congratulations on running for 18kms but I have a question for you: you didn't run another 8kms after your fall did you ? True commitment !

Carolyne said...

I'm with Jen. You poor thing!

Let us know how the job interview went. At least you can be injured (with the scars to prove it) rather than too unfit to run! Forget about the 13kgs. You look good now, and you will just better as you keep running.
Quick recovery!