Monday, May 09, 2005

Inspired - NEW GOAL!

After much umming and ahhing, I have decided that I'm going to do the Doomben Half Marathon on 5th June. That's earlier than I'd planned to do a half (the GC was going to be my first) but I'm feeling a bit restless and needing a closer training target to aim for. I don't know if I'm up to being able to run the entire 21kms yet (closest I've gotten is the long runs I've done at about 15kms) but I'm approaching it without feeling stressed or pressured. I'm literally just going to attempt to get from A to B, start to finish. Bugger times and everything else and if I have to walk at points along the way, I will.

I think it will be good psychologically for me to know I can cover the distance before the GC half, anyway. I've also decided to rejoin the gym and start cross training every day. I miss the gym and the effects of doing regular weights sessions. I'm going back to track and I'm going to work my arse off to get better at running.

Not sure where this latest stream of motivation has come from - I think it was partly watching the lovely Skiz doing her 8km race and all the runners at the West End on sunday doing their races too. I didn't run on the weekend (swapped shifts and my glute was still killing me but is better now) and marshalled instead - fascinating watching how differently everyone runs... some are more bouncy, some have big steps, little steps, high arms, low arms, elbows out/in.... made me think more consciously about how I run, that's for sure :)

4 comments:

Robert Song said...

If you can do 15k. I'm sure you'll be able to make the Half. It will be great preparation for GC.

Unknown said...

Go Hannah!! I am sure you will run most if not all of it! Can't wait to read your race report!!

Carolyne said...

Chicky-babes are doing it for themselves!
Your planned half sounds like a good move, short term goals are important. Start walking through the drink stations early, allowing yourself plenty of time to drink. You'll be there at the finish, and far from last.

Cirque said...

Sounds great Hannah. Aso sounds like you'll need a cheer squad...keep us posted.