Wednesday, May 04, 2005

5km, Running Undies and Talkback!

Decided not to do tuesday night track (may do thursday instead) and went for a run by myself. Again, it seems to have gotten a bit easier to run alone these days - as long as I take a watch and time my actual running time, I can do the distance I'd planned. Tonight I did 5km because I'm sort of saving myself up for tomorrow nights long run which will probably be 1:30, or perhaps even a bit longer (we shall see!) Listening to talk back on the radio rather than music also seems to be a good distraction from wanting to stop! Am actually enjoying the challenge of making myself run alone (though I still much prefer company). You certainly can't beat the convenience factor of starting a run from your front door! Also tried to put in a few short speed intervals in the run (how brilliant is Runners World for diet and training tips? loving the latest issue!)

Checked out running gear in Rebel today but gave up in disgust - will plan to go a bit early to run club tomorrow night and check out their gear instead which is probably heaps better and possibly cheaper. I may be a bit slow on the uptake but the one thing I did learn today was that running shorts have liners! I've been wearing normal cotton underwear under shorts for ages and it drives me nuts because like horrible cotton lycra shorts, they soak up moisture and that's soooo not a good thing on a longer run. Meh. I wonder if they actually make dri-weave (or similar!) pants! Am a bit loath to post that question on CR - might get a few raised eyebrows, what runners underpants are like! LOL!

Looking forward to friday CR drinks. Even dragging a friend along who has just started to learn to run and is up to ten minutes on a treadmill! We will corrupt her with the evil goodness of the moving-at-speed *muahahahaha* there is no escape!

3 comments:

Clairie said...

LOL Hannah. I definitely think this is a topic we will have to cover on Friday.

what Undies work best for us ha ha.

Great to see you getting out there on your own. I find it therapeutic sometimes to just run around my home.

Chelle said...

FWIW, I only run in Nike shorts (have other makes for different sports) and find the shorter ones with the inner bit more comfortable than anything else!! Like Clairie says, perhaps a topic after a few on Friday :-)

Carolyne said...

Count me in as another voter for running shorts with inners. Or dri fit shorts with a small cotton gusset. Perhaps my favourite for comfort (rather than style) are triathlon shorts with an inbuilt light flock cycling pad. Comfy and easy to run in.
Cotton underwear for running is a no no.

I managed to get my husband some coolmax underwear (Ian Thorpe brand) which he says is great. Haven't seen anything similar for women though.
Cheers