Saturday, October 01, 2005

12km, skipping and back

So, thursday and friday ended up being non running days. My back was playing up a little bit - a couple of years ago I partially dislocated my hip from my pelvis and got it wedged there - was more painful than a burst appendix and took me six months of chiropractic and a lot of core strength exercises to fix it. The muscles that hold the right bits in the right spot have never been quite right since though - so when I feel a certain type of twinge, I now know a couple of rest days are in order. S'all good now though, Jerry. Seems to be a genetic thing - both my sister and my mother have weak hips. We're like human golden retrievers! ;) *L*

Anyway, was probably a good thing since sore legs from speed/PT also prevailed. This morning I went to the Running Buddies... the weather was just bizarre - thick, humid fog so thick you couldn't see one bank of the river from the other. We did about 12km I think, perhaps a smidge less. Didn't push things because tomorrow is the BRRC race at the West End. Am sneakily hoping to break 55 minutes, but we'll see. My legs felt quite heavy today and I struggled a bit, so I'm feeling a bit less cocky.

Sam ran Mount Cootha for the first time this morning - didn't get to see her afterwards, but dying to know how it went. She's gotten soooo much faster in the last couple of months. Bit sickening when she averages 2 runs a week. Must find out what her secret is!

Bought a skipping rope today. Partly for stretching and partly to use at the gym for cardio. Always quite enjoyed skipping - I think it's the rhythym. I nearly bought one that counted revolutions, but I figured I'm obsessed over enough numbers (times... kilometres...kilograms...weights....) so I probably don't need to add skipping revolutions to the mix! Plus, it was twice as much as the basic one! There's a gadget for everything these days, it seems!

3 comments:

Carolyne said...

Skipping is difficult! But great exercise ~ I'm too much of a gadget junkie to bypass a 'rope with technology', but I think that you made the right call!

Don't underestimate the power of rest days; Recovery is one thing we all need to do more training for (with obsesive personalities like ours!)

Take care

CJ said...

You have been a very busy (and talented) girl - there are some great banners out in blogland courtesy of you! I haven't done any skipping in years - used to be good at it when i was young but think I may not be as coordinated now!

Tamyka Bell said...

I used to skip all the time when I was a boxer. I got shin splints at first but then I fixed my poster (doing pilates) and all was good. I couldn't help counting. We did 3 minutes of skipping at a time and I would count every jump; if I didn't do at least 120 jumps per minute I was in trouble, and my last 10 seconds I had to go really fast or my coach would yell at me. May you not be yelled at while skipping :)