Wednesday, September 28, 2005

7.5km

I know I keep saying it, but It's so good to be back running on a wednesday night. I started out with the slow group again - the first couple of ks were just shocking since my legs are sooo sore from the speedwork and PT yesterday. Once I warmed up a bit, I felt heaps better and was soon zooming along. Next week I am definitely going to try and keep up with the next group up - I don't know if it's just psychological, but I actually feel like I ran better - little bit quicker and breathing easier - which surprised me since my legs felt so heavy. Bit of a brief 'zen' running moment actually! Will be interesting to see how I go with the 10km at BRRC on sunday. Sub 55 maybe ;) (uh-oh, that's tempting fate, isnt it? LOL) Perhaps the benefits of Bootcamp, nasty speedwork and chasing BRB'ers through southbank is starting to pay off already ;)

Had a brief chat with John who I think I may cajole into giving me a few training sessions on bikes - I want to pick his brains about triathlons, transitions and the many things that I'm going to have to learn before I attempt one next year. I've always been quite good at swimming but the ride is going to be the worst part for sure - I actually swore I'd never get back on a mountain bike a couple of years ago, after attempting a 40km bike ride up the side of a Volcano in Ecuador at 4,500m above sea level - weighing 126kgs and with both altitude sickness and jetlag, it was bloody torture. I also forgot to put sunscreen on the tops of my hands and they blistered raw. Not to mention I seriously couldn't walk straight for about two days afterwards. *L* ah well! Can't foresee any volcanoes on the tri courses, so it would have to be easier than that!

Tomorrow I think I'll aim for easy 5-10km and bit of an upper body weights session. My legs are going to take a few days to get back to normal I think! Must dig out some metallica for my mp3 player - full on weights sessions require rock god music, I've decided ;)

3 comments:

Carolyne said...

Slow is really good when you know the alternative is not running at all! Even sore and shocking is good!

Great to see that you 'are back', although it seems that it never rains but pours - now you are working, every Cool Runner and their cat wants to book your skills as a graphic banner artist super supremo! It is fantastic, amazing work Hannah, you are VERY talented!

As a hack 'goer' at triathlons, if you want to pick my brain at any time drop me a line.

:)

TA and the Gnome said...

Hannah, it's not tempting fate to set a goal time (even a stretch goal) - it's just getting you mind into gear, and I've come to the conclusion that getting your mind into gear is sometimes more important than getting the legs going... :-)

Tamyka Bell said...

Hey girl if you want any tips on triathlons, esp transition training, race day procedure, and how not to overtrain, I'm your girl. I ditched my coach, but he gave me some good planning tips. Drop me a line anytime.