Sunday, October 16, 2005

2:36 25km - omg, 11 minute PB!

Despite it absolutely POURING with rain this morning, I got up and went to do the 25km at the West End. Decided against extending to 30km though. It'll keep! There were only a handful of us there because of the marathon in Toowoomba (and I suspect, some far more sensible people who stayed in bed)

I set off with the others who tore off at 5 minute something pace and after a km or so, I decided to go back to my old faithful plod and be conservative. The rain was nice and cool (better than hot sun) but the road had turned into ankle deep rivers in parts, which was not so good (wet shoes and socks = ew!)

I felt really, really good for the first 15kms which really surprised me - like I could keep running all day if I wanted to. Unfortunately, the batteries for my MP3 player had died right on the start line, so I had no music :( I chatted with various 10k people and a guy who pulled out of the 25km at about 15km. At about 17km, I started to feel hungry so I had my GU and then I got those need-toilet-now sort of stomach cramps but I was determined not to stop! So, I hung on and kept going. My shoelace came undone so I stopped for about 15 seconds to tie it up. I couldn't believe that I didn't need a walk break... I didn't even stop for water - drank on the run from my fuel belt instead. My feet felt way better than last time (no major blisters hurrah!). When I got to about 18km, my left calf started cramping majorly... and for the last couple of kms, I was timing my footfalls with a little mantra that goes: I *thud* will *thud* not *thud* walk! *thud* Schultzy had been running with me for the last 10k or so, but he took off to do a fast last km and left me so I carried on with my catchy little mantra, focussed hard, et voila!

2:36. I've just checked my last time for the 25km (although, that was more like 26km, but hey) and I knocked ELEVEN minutes off it. 11. I can't believe it's right actually, and I wonder if I've got my time messed up!!! I also set a new PB for my half marathon - as I crossed 21km, I was at 2:09 - two minutes quicker than Noosa.

Even more amusing is that I got a big shiny *GOLD* bling bling this time - everyone else in my age group must've been in Toowoomba or something so I won my category. Yay, me. It was a bit of a CR knock out actually, with the lovely Tess, Clairie and Karisma also scoring gold!

I'm in a bit of shock still - it hasn't quite sunk in yet - 11 minutes.... even better than that though, is that I managed to run the entire way without stopping once (something I've not done before on that sort of distance!) and felt so good the whole way, despite my calves cramping to hell at the end and after - my breathing was fine and I didn't feel like I was going to die at the finish. Happy for it to be over, but about to expire, nope!

11 minutes!!! *victory dance!*

9 comments:

Lulu said...

That's absolutely fantastic Hannah! All that hard work is paying off for you. Enjoy your bling!

Anonymous said...

Hannah,
It was great to be there to see you run so well this morning. Consistency and perseverance does eventually pay off :) and it is such a good feeling to feel like you can go on forever and you don't have to walk and...
now you know why it is all so addictive:) Congratulations. Rest well and be proud :)

Karisma

Cirque said...

That is truly fantastic Hannah! I'm SO happy for you. You deserve the good time after all your hard work and putting up with difficultes along the way.

Tesso said...

Great run Hannah - you looked so smooth and comfortable out there. How good is it when you win that mental battle. A well deserved gold medal!

Don't ya just pity the poor buggers who let the rain put them off and stayed in bed.


PS Hope the calves had settled down.

Jen said...

Woohoo (***the crowd claps loudly)

Sensational Hannah. Congratulations on a great run in tough condition; on a HUGE PB and on your bling. Well done; I'm really proud of you!!

J.

Carolyne said...

Way to go, girl!

Awesome result, remember that some days things all pull together, and on others it just wasn't meant to be.
Enjoy your spoils and rest proudly on your laurels.

Katie said...

Congratulations!!! An 11 minute pb is awesome... what did you have for breakfast????? I say enjoy the bling... well deserved!! In the rain and all :)

Wobbly man said...

Way to go Hannah! Maybe you should look for races on wet days?

Robert Song said...

Great run Hannah (from one of the sensible ones who stayed in bed.)