Tuesday, October 25, 2005

40kgs bench press - hear me roar! LOL

My left achilles has been playing up - sort of throbbing even when resting. I think that's what the problem was after the 25km, with my calf being crampy because of it... consequently, I've been having a few no-running days to try and stop the problem before it really starts :( Instead, I've been swimming a fair bit. That's probably a good thing too, since my freestyle is abysmal!

I've always been a really strong swimmer and even now, I can breastroke til blue in the face but since I've been trying to work on technique, I've realised just how bad I am at freestyle and I suspect that's partly why I get a few lengths in and have to switch. Meh. Have been making enquiries trying to find a decent swim squad to join, so as soon as I've got that sorted, things should improve.

Inspired by Clairie, I've also started trying to focus my eating for my runs - next event is the Noosa Tri 10k and I'm aiming for sub 55 on that. Being 2kgs lighter would help enormously so we'll see how I go!

PT this morning, killer set of core strength exercises, bench press (pyramid sets hurt - I did 35kg/37.5kg/40kg/30kg) and various other nasties. Also had a good talk with Tony (trainer) about actually following my training schedule - I've tended to move my runs and workouts around as my circumstances shift - he sort of drummed into me the importance of rest days again and sticking to a plan so I don't do too many hard days in a row (he reckons that's probably why my achilles is acting up)

I'm starting to think about putting together a grand training plan for my first Marathon... goals and things.... because if I decide to make it Canberra rather than the Gold Coast, I'll have to start increasing distances quite soon. I'm also trying to work out what a realistic time would be. Currently I'm thinking about having three goals. One being just to finish, one being absolute best time I could wish for (thinking 4 hours - bwahahaha - yes, I know - but it'd be lovely!) and the last being something more realistic like 4.30. Lately, I sort of feel like I've come into another little getting-better streak, so if all goes to plan, hopefully one of those goals might be on the money.

I'm also dying for everyone to start promoting 2006 runs so I can plan things around them (I'm such a virgo - I do love to plan!) but it would definitely help with the evil cunning master M plan!

Wednesday night run tomorrow - I'm sooo happy to be back!!!

6 comments:

CJ said...

Whoa - those bench presses are pretty impressive Hannah!

The goals you have set for a Canberra (?) marathon are very sensible and very doable. I generally set similar goals and my first and major goal is to finish and to enjoy the race. Good luck!

Katie said...

Yeah!!! Another Canberra debut! I am aiming for my first in 2006! Good ideas to rest the achilles.. thats a problem to avoid like the plauge!

Carolyne said...

It's great to have you back (running) Hannah!

Canberra is doable - only problem is I won't be here this year! (Boo Hoo).

The weight is goo, don't be too radical in the changes all at once, otherwise you'll blow out big time and be destined to fail.

The swim sounds like a good alternative and excellent for cross training too (dare I say, better than boot camp?)

Keep us informed - time for your first M doesn't matter, it's just a matter of getting to the finish line (my first in Canberra this year).

miners said...

Wow - what a positive post! 4 hour marathons, 2006 running goals, laps and laps of swimming, 40kg bench presses (eep).

You've inspired me Hannah (yet again)

Lulu said...

Sounds like you're on fire Hannah.. I just realised I haven't congratulated you on your 3km PB either as yet.. so congrats.. a sub 5min km.. I can dream:)

Tamyka Bell said...

Hi again Hannah,

I like your goals. My goal for my first marathon was to finish it; I got injured 3 weeks out and decided that the majority of my training was done, so I would rest for the entire 3 weeks. Went back to the physio and got the go-ahead. Then got sent away with the army instead :( So I have not yet done a marathon, but I think it will be next year for me.

When picking goal times, don't feel obliged to choose a nice, even half hour or even 10 minutes. I'd like to do a marathon in under 3:52:11.