Monday, September 12, 2005

6:23 assault course

Bootcamp this morning was nasty. It's like doing a solid hour of constant speedwork. I've taken both varieties of my inhaler twice, but the cardio work was so intense that I'm feeling my asthma kick in for the first time in over a year. I did however manage to take 30 seconds off my assault course time, getting it down to 6:23. Sooooo close to getting it under 6 minutes! They set us off in waves depending on fitness, and being the only girl in the last (supposedly fittest!?) wave is a bit difficult - the boys leave me for dead, pretty much. I find it a bit irritating that at the end of the day, no matter how hard I train, men at a similar fitness level are always going to be quicker! It seems a bit unfair, somehow ;) Oh well, c'est la vie!

After the assault course, we split up into smaller groups and spent an hour doing hill runs, burpees, jumping squats, sets of 30 second sprints, lateral jumps (over a rope ladder) and step ups. Oh, and reverse lunges. My lungs were burning like hell!
I think that the intensity of it is probably going to be good for my speed with running - I guess I'll find out on sunday at the river run! I'd like to get under 55 for 10km by the end of the year, too. I meant to do the womens 10km this sunday, but I ended up working the whole weekend :( Sometimes being self employed can suck :( I really shouldn't complain however, since the work is more than welcome. I've been so slack with reading blogs too... must fix that ;) I hope everyone had fun at the Glasshouse. Next year, I may actually do one of the runs ;) I've decided it's my new ambition in life to run every distance there is, at least once! (including 100 miles!)

I am still stuck in the middle of a big fight with myself to eat well and train every day. Bootcamp completely throws my running out (though I think I'll be reaping the benefits of it soon) I'm still pining for my wednesday night long run and I think it's a major reason why my weight has crept up a bit *again*. Next week is mid semester break and so I'll be able to sneak one in then... then it'll only be a few more weeks and I can go back to it. Next week is D Day for the bloody Brisbane Running Buddies, too - it'll be a regatta week I think, so slow pokes like me can go ;) If I don't make it this saturday I'm going to scream!

Right, time to read some blogs and leave some comments for all you lovely people :)

5 comments:

Cirque said...

I'm so impressed Hannah, it sounds like such awfully hard work. You really deserve to see some great improvements in your running times after all the effort you're putting in.

Jen said...

Quote: I've decided it's my new ambition in life to run every distance there is, at least once! (including 100 miles!)

You are mad Hannah but I like the way you think. Don't stress too much after your running suffering as a result of the bootcamp. You will certainly be a stronger runner at the end of the camp. Keep up the great work, J.

Tesso said...

Hannah, how cool is that being in the fittest group at Bootcamp!

beanz said...

well done - teh boot camp upper body strength stuff will definitely help on longer runs

CJ said...

Doing Bootcamp (which sounds exhausting) and talking of running 100miles one day - you're positively certifiable Hannah! Gotta love it though ;)