Sunday, September 04, 2005

25km *muahahahahahaha*

Well, I did it! 25km! Took me 2:47, but I did it ;)

Woke up at 5am after dreaming I was locked in a kitchen pantry with a deranged psychopath trying to get in and kill me! somehow I had a phone in there with me, but 000 couldn't help me because I didn't know the address of the house I was in. Amazing what pre-race anxiety will do to you. Despite nasty dreams, I slept well and got to the West End in plenty of time. Saw Clairie who was also doing the 25km and then they announced that because of the riverfire festival, part of the usual course was going to be shut off and we would be doing the 25km in EIGHT shorter loops of just over 3kms which brought many spontaneous shrieks from those of us who had been planning to do the longer run. At that point I almost thought 'bugger it' and opted for the 15kms, but decided to just start and see how I went. Plus, I knew that if I didn't go for the 25km after all my hoo-haa about it, you guys would give me heaps ;) *grins*

So out I went. I managed to buy some GU's to run with (went with chocolate flavour) and felt pretty good. Tesso was volunteering for the morning and cheered me on through most of my many, many, many loops *L* I started out really, really, REALLY slowly (even for me!) and walked through the drink stop every 3km. It averages out to 6:40 pace, which is actually quicker than it felt! At the half way point, I suddenly felt really hungry (had opted for huge dinner, no breaky) and so had my GU which definitely perked me up. Am now a convert to those things - although, not so keen on chocolate - will go for orange next time!

It was really at the half way point that I felt like I was actually going to be able to do the whole distance. During the run a couple of different people ran with me which helped soooo much so all up I think I probably only did 3 out of the 8 loops on my own. Schultzy came and did the final couple with me which really, really helped. By that point my legs were sooo tired and I could feel giant blisters of doom growing on the soles of my feet - think I need new socks.

Got through to the end of the run and Clairie, Tess, Runner B and a few other lovely people had waited for me to cross the line! Felt soooo good to be able to stop! Lots of hugs and cheers and stuff and they saved a random prize for me! It wasn't until I got to the swimming pool to take a quick recovery dip that I realised my newly dyed elderberry hair had stained my white cap an interesting vivid purple!!! LOL!!! no one had said anything to me when I finished, bless them ;) LOL! *mental note to self: must buy black hat*

After my swim, got home, fell onto my bed and dozed for a couple of hours. Took a couple of anti-inflammatories and put some cream on my chafed bits. I put body glide on practically my whole body, but you can never predict where is going to rub - this time, it was the line where my fuel belt went accross my back - it's sooo sore!!!

But all up, feeling really good. Am wayyyy more tired than I was after noosa and it's weird to think four more kms can do that to you. Doesn't matter though - I have a new 'magic number' of 25! Thankyou so much to all those who've texted, posted comments, emailed and cheered me on... you were all there this morning in my brain as I almost went the easy road and didn't! I hope I can do the same for you one day :)

Now, only have to get through bootcamp tomorrow! Now that should make an interesting post! *grins*

30km, here I come!

8 comments:

Jen said...

YAH Hannah *clapping loudly*. Congratulations on a great run - 25 is a great number isn't it! And now onto 30 for you :-)

Well done; I'm really proud of you.

J

PS Enjoy boot camp tomorrow morning ;-)

Cirque said...

I'm SO happy and proud for you Hannah! You will be doing a marathon before you know it.

Well done, and don't worry if boot camp is hard for you tomorrow, just think how much you've done today compared to all the other participants.

CJ said...

Woo Hoo hannah - well done!!! You must be feeling so chuffed with yourself - and deservedly so because 25km is a long run. Hope you're feeling fine and no niggly bits have made an appearance. Woo Hoo!!!! :)

TA and the Gnome said...

Hannah well done. You seem to love increasing the distances :-). Not too sure whether I would choose bootcamp for recovery though!

TA

beanz said...

brilliant!

well done Hannah!

Tesso said...

Absolutely fantastic effort yesterday Hannah! I think Clairie and I were as excited as you were when you crossed the line ... well, almost :-)

When the going gets tough for me next weekend in the marathon I will remind myself of how you pushed on doing all those loops and kept on smiling the whole way.

Oh, and I have a feeling you will be joining in the photo of the 'ferel ultra runners' at a CR drinks in the not too distant future.

Robert Song said...

Excellent effort on the 26k run. Slowly and surely you will get up to 42k.

Don't see the attraction of the Boot Camp though.

Ewen said...

No, buy an elderberry hat! Hannah, you must explain the bootcamp marathon to me one day.