Sunday, September 18, 2005

River Run 10km 56:50ish?

Well, river run was fun. (do I get extra points for lame rhymes? LOL) not my quickest 10km, but reasonable considering that tomorrow will make four days straight of running. Plus, I weigh 3kgs more than I did when I ran my PB (*grumbles at self*) I'm so completely over dieting. Healthy eating, fine. Significant daily reduction in calories, nah. If It means I have to bloody weigh more, so be it. I feel like if I eat the way I used to to (pre-running) where I hardly ate carbs for literally months, I'd fall over. Need energy to run, hence need carbs. My friend Em, who is currently doing the whole losing weight thing and has taken up running learnt that the hard way recently - she passed out after reducing her carbs and running hard... poor thing! Only her pride was dented though, which is the main thing ;)

Anyway, It's all just a case of everything in moderation, no doubt. But I'm not going to completely obsess over it any more. As I continue increasing my training, perhaps it'll just come off naturally. If it doesnt, I don't care!

*ahem* Oops, slight sideways deviation there. Where was I? Oh yes. Race report ;)

I got there at about 5.45am and saw Clairie and tribe. The wind had finally died down (thought we may get blown into the river yesterday!) and headed to the start line. Zest Health Clubs was trying to get everyone doing an aerobic warm up, but we were packed in like sardines so there was no chance of that! Soon enough we were off.

Tried very hard not to get caught up in the usual 2km dash at the start, and settled into a rhythym. By 7km or so, I took great delight in passing a lot of those same people, who were now walking. I think I could've pushed myself harder during the run, but I guess I was also thinking about tomorrow's assault course and that it'd be wise to leave a little in the tank. And, having already run 10km the day before probably affected me too.

We ran past the last of the BRRC'ers on the run too - it was the championship 7/14kms today, but it's not like my points were going to do me much good anyway, so I was happy enough to do the 10km race instead. Saw Karisma, Schultzy, Run67 and a few others and waved as we went by.

Crossed the line, got my breath back and looked for a certain boy who had come to watch but had gone missing. Then I grabbed a huge mango smoothy from Boost (loving their mobile kiosks - boost rocks) and sat to await my impending fortune via random draws, which alas wasn't to be! Oh well, one day!

3 comments:

beanz said...

spunds like a good run


mmm weight loss and running - doesn't seem fair does it, all that exercise and the pounds (sorry kilos) don't drop off

but I am definitely a trimmer shape since taking up running

beanz said...

spunds = sounds!

Tamyka Bell said...

Hannah, it's great that you're sensible about eating well. A lot of nutritionists recommend timing your meals based around your training, so (for example) if you ran in the morning you would have a small carb snack before your run (if you're up early enough - if it's a short/easy run, a sports drink should suffice) and a carby breakky after your run (to replenish your muscle glycogen stores); then for lunch and dinner you could have more protein and less carbs, so you feel full without having a large calorie intake.

It's something to try, anyway. But I have a sneaking suspicion that your weight may have something to do with your Bootcamp training making you a buff beefcake... sure, it's extra kilos on the run, but muscle is sexy! Go girl!