Sunday, May 28, 2006

3:00 Long Run (32km?)

Struggled my way out of bed this morning - thankfully it wasn't unbearably cold, so I managed to extricate myself from the doona without too much trouble!

Because I did the 5km TT yesterday, I had to do my long run today. I saw a whole truckload of familiar faces along the way including Eddie, Runner Bee, half of intraining and one or two others who shouted hello whilst the sun was in my eyes (so I'm sorry if you said hello and I was vague!)

Funny how different the running crowds are on a saturday to a sunday though! The Brissie to Bay Bike rides were also on and lapped through part of the riverside bike path by the gardens. Normally not a problem for me since I've become used to dodging bikes and hearing them approach - but this ride was *full* of kids and people who obviously never get on their bikes normally - they didn't yell out on approach and were weaving precariously across both lanes and at stupid speeds. They didn't care about give way signs or slow down signs or pay much attention to the occasional marshall I saw, either. Infact, I got quite shitty after almost having to jump in the river to avoid colliding with another zigzagging yuppy on a shopper bike and was just waiting for the accident to happen. Sure enough, not three minutes later, I round the corner and there is the stupid woman, sprawled out underneath her bike on the ground after colliding with another bike.

One or two other riders stopped to pick her up and dust her off so I didn't stop but it made me more worried for the hundreds of kids riding their bikes on the path too. On the whole they seemed to be better behaved than the adults, but it was bedlam and I would be very surprised if there weren't a whole lot more serious stacks on the course.

Anyway, enough of a rant about that - at least the occasional arsey 'proper' bikers can generally ride straight and at a reasonable pace - and don't almost knock you into the drink!

The rest of my run was great - no more bonking and having to walk at 25km (It still makes me giggle to use that expression: it means entirely different things in the UK to Aus) I had about four drink stops all up and stopped to stretch briefly on one of those but overall, I felt heaps better than the last time I did that run... once I get into my rhythym, I'm fine :)

Incidentally, can any of the lovely brissie bloggers tell me how to extend a run past brekkie creek? I end up at the end of a bikepath in a small park on the riverside of the road - do you cross the road somewhere to carry on down towards the gateway bridge? I have to do 3:30 after Doomben and want to try and go a little further on my usual route! Ta!

8 comments:

Cirque said...

I don't think it's just a UK thing Hannah, I always laugh at the thought of bonking during a long run too. If only!

C2 did the Brissie to the Bay bike ride this morning and there sure were some idiots out there (not my perfect C2 of course).

There were an awful lot of AGNIs involved! (All the Gear and No Idea).

Jen said...

Snigger, snigger, snigger. It's not just a UK thing Hannah ;-)

Well done on your long run today after last weekend's HUGE effort not to mention yesterday's TT. Your hard work will pay off on that special day in July :-)

Ewen said...

Three hours is good going Hannah.

Running the same time in the 5k but with better form is an improvement. Keep practising that form.

Tesso said...

I always think the same when doing a Sunday run, different crowd out there. But just as friendly as the Saturday runners :-)

You can run over the Brekky Creek Bridge and continue on up to Brett's Wharf. Last time I did it (a few years ago) the path on the river side was a bit dodgey though. Perhaps with all the work they've done in that area its not so bad now. The footpath on the other side should be avoided at all costs, its narrow and close to the road. The trucks zooming by will scare the life out of you!

Another way you can add kms is to throw in a lap or two of New Farm Park. Its 900 meters or so.

miners said...

yep - definitely a US thing, that bonking phrase. Coincidentally, it's a bit like them rooting for their favourite team ;)

Clairie said...

Heh Hannah - sounds to me like you have graduated to the Riverloop. This is approx 30km with more being added to extend beyond that when needed - ie. loop of the gardens when you get back, loop in St Lucia on the way out etc.

I will be keen for one one the 10th June if you are interested. 5.30am start?

Wobbly man said...

Fantastic time for a 32k training run - well done Hannah! Glad you missed any mishaps with the bikes too. It sounded positively dangerous out there.

CJ said...

No more bonking - interesting! Gave me a laugh anyway!

Sounded very hazardous running with all those bikes weaving around with riders barely in control of them. Scary!