Saturday, May 06, 2006

Three Hours Something, max HR and cramps

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten...


-Natasha Bedingfield, Unwritten

I think this would have to be one of my all time favourite songs... I listen to it a lot on my ipod and it makes me feel like everything is right with the world ;)

Met up with the Running Buddies crew this morning to do 3:10. Schultzy ran with me, even though I knew I would be incredibly slow, all things considered! I went to bed really early the last two nights and had a nap this afternoon and my cold seems to be improving. I hadn't realised just how tired I was on top of everything else. I may have to start having early nights as a matter of course!

We ran from the Regatta down to Breakfast Creek and then out towards the Gateway Bridge - we turned at the end of the footpath in a small park by the river. I felt bloody fantastic all the way back until the Botanical Gardens, when I started to struggle somewhat (the last 5kms) I ended up doing a walk-run-walk-run to try and ease my calves which were cramping like all hell. I was really thirsty - I don't think I've ever drunk so much on a run! (perhaps that's why the cramps?)

The interesting thing was that Schultzy is really good at splits and we were going at an even pace for the 25km. I even wore my heartrate monitor for once, and it sat on 160 for the entire run. Once I'd started struggling a little, it went up to 165, but no more. I still have yet to find out exactly what my max is (should really wear it at the next 5km TT) but according to an online calculator and my resting heart rate of 55, it should be around 198 - which makes 160 around 80% - no idea if that's ideal or not... Time to do some research!

Pretty tired from this morning - am feeling slightly nervous about Mt Mee tomorrow! Ah well...

1 comment:

Robert Song said...

Using conventional 220 - age calculation for Max HR, or other generic formulas is a very hit and miss. Testing in a Lab of cause is best but an expense.

Doing your own physical test should be OK. Do something like this:

Go to a track and warm up, stretch and do some strides as if preparing for a race. Then (wearing your HRM) run an all-out 800m and note the highest HR recorded on your monitor. Rest 2 mins and then run an all-out 400m. Again note the highest HR recorded. The highest number you see (which should be from the 400m) can be taken as your HRmax.

I like to do my Long Runs at around 70 - 75% Max HR which equates to around 30 - 60 seconds/K slower than projected Marathon Pace.