Friday, May 19, 2006

Giant Green Asteroid!

Went to track on tuesday night and limped my way through the session - who would've thought a stupid little blister between your toes would be so painful? (I even resorted to taping a corn pad between my toes the next day!)

Track was quite gentle because most of us had done Glasshouse. Suzannah had even run 12km the next day! (mind you, it turns out that the girl runs 100km weeks!) We did about four sets of five laps at 70%. As we were standing recovering from one of them, all of a sudden this bright green flare passed overhead. At first I thought it was a firework gone awry, but it was silent. That's when we realised it was an asteroid - later confirmed by the evening news!

Apparently, people kept phoning the observatories because it was so bright! I'd never seen one so close before... it seemed like it landed quite close. A few years ago, a friend showed me an asteroid she'd found - they're really strange things - very heavy lumps of metal, covered in small bumps that look like warts. They're really cold too and perfectly round. Hah, X files, eat your heart out - come to track!

I missed the wednesday run because of work :( In my absence, I also got nominated as captain of our trivia team because 'I wasn't there to argue' LOL. I don't think they realise I'm crap at trivia LOL!

Aside from that, I've also got a nasty cold which I've been fighting with my usual mega doses of vitamin C. I'm working this afternoon until 3pm then heading down to Warwick (yaaayyyyy!) so I'm hoping I feel slightly more human by tomorrow :( Fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Tesso said...

That asteroid sounded so cool. Pity you didn't have your super duper camera with you. Not to worry, there'll probably be a few falling stars by the time the last comes around on the weekend ;-)

Ewen said...

I hope Warwick goes well Hannah... and, by the way, diet coke doesn't count. It's 750ml of chemicals ;)

Unknown said...

Have a good run at Warwick, Hannah; hope the cold has improved..loads of vitamin C, good!

Lulu said...

Hope you're having fun in Warwick and that those Sydney gals are behaving themselves.