Friday, May 05, 2006

PT Epiphany :)

I am coming down with a nasty cold I think :( Haven't had enough sleep over the last few days and working really, really hard so I guess it was just a matter of time til I got the lurgy. Have taken half a ton of vitamin C and went to bed at 7.30pm last night so hopefully I can fight it off!

Yesterday I went and had the best personal training session... he sat down with me and we started plotting out my program between now and the GCM. Mine was no good by all accounts - got told off for not incorporating an easy week, er, ever. Apparently, the plateau's in my running program do not equate to an easy week... it's a bit delicate trying to balance my trainer's program with Phil's, but Tony (trainer) seems happy to leave that side of things to Phil and work with me on weights, other cardio and nutrition. I've been training with Tony for about three years now and it's quite amusing that he knows me so well -

One of the things that made heaps of sense to me was when he said that if you train really hard all the time, with no easy week to recover, you end up being able to train all the time but you're only about to put in 70% effort - whereas, if you recover fully and regularly allow your body to adjust, you might be doing less sessions but those you do, you do at 100% and get better results. It made me turn red and grin actually because this is exactly my problem - my instinct, when I've gotten really crap results, is to think I should be pushing harder - which usually only makes it worse!

Everyone has been saying this to me in numerous ways, but for some reason it didn't really click in my head until Tony said it.... so consequently, I've decided to bump PT up to weekly sessions (currently fortnightly) until the GCM, to keep me on track with nutrition and losing weight - and to keep myself in check ;)

I came away feeling a lot more positive about things. I don't even care that I've done the bare minimum of what I set out to do this week in training... if this cold doesn't improve tomorrow, I may even take the rest of the week off entirely. It's a bummer because I've paid for Mt Mee already, but maybe I'll be okay by then :)

8 comments:

Shane said...

I just typed your blog site address in and it come up with a online bible college, changed nothing and now im here...Weird!

Anyway, that's bad luck about the flu, I hope it doesn't hang around for long. Take it easy, health permitting I will see you Sunday.

2P said...

"Less Is More" may have to become your new mantra Hannah.

Good luck with the new program ;-)

Lulu said...

I glad you've had the epiphany! All the running programmes Sean gives us cut us back once every month to a light week to let the body recover. I'm also trying not to trash myself on every run so I can put in the hard efforts on the hard sessions.

Tesso said...

Tony has probably hit the nail on the head. Can't wait to see the improvements that will come out of this.

Meanwhile, take care of that cold and get well soon.

Ewen said...

Take it easy while you have the cold.

The body improves during the recovery days and weeks.

Keep the positive vibes going Hannah.

Cirque said...

Don't you just love those lightbulb moments!

Tamyka Bell said...

I had the same thing as shane a while ago, I think you're being targeted ;)

I think it's awesome that you're resting to see if you're up to the race - it's better to be too cautious and miss a day of training than to be too hasty and miss a week.

Wobbly man said...

Sounds like you are getting great advice Hannah! Colds and flus are crappy but only temprary. Good luck with your GC trainiing.