Friday, January 06, 2006

UK, Goals and Aspirations!



Arrived back to the humid goodness of Brisbane yesterday morning. Although, I must admit, the ‘good’ part of the humid has already started to wear off! Ah, the joys of living in a tropical climate. Certainly better than freezing though! This is a picture of the xmas tree we had. Awww. Pretty.



Overall, I enjoyed the trip – it was lovely to see my family again and spend xmas and new years together. I like the sense of history that you get in England… there are stories ingrained in everything over there; everywhere you go, every surface, every place…the past reads like Braille. The countryside is really pretty in winter, although quite stark during the day. particularly when there's a frost!

I ventured onto the scales this morning, and much to my disgust, I put on 4kgs while I was there! I’m confident it’ll come off again though (and a bit more besides) and I thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful of turkey/stuffing/chocolate/cake/venison/flapjack/revels/smoked salmon, so I remain unrepentant! I’m not looking forward to the next few weeks of pain of course, but needs must! ;)

Anyway, enough of my gluttony ;) time for my promised goals post!

One Year of Running!

The first of January marked one year of running for me. I can remember feeling very apprehensive about spending $200 on running shoes because I thought I’d probably give up after a month or two. I consoled myself that I could always use them as cross trainers at the gym if it didn’t work out. I started by running on the treadmill and then running down the street. I don’t think I ever imagined I’d still be running now let alone having worked my way up to 25km!

My first attempt at running with other people was the January BRRC 5km. I was so nervous and by 2km, I’d slowed to a walk. I still felt proud when I crossed the line though! It’s also where I met many of my lovely running buddies and fellow CRs… Tess, Clairie, MJ, Brenda, Karisma and many more besides. I joined the Run Inn Runners and fell in love with club runs :)

This year, I've done three half marathons, one 'official' 25km run and numerous 5, 10, 15km races. I've taken six minutes off my 10km time and about 18 minutes off the half. Overall, I think my favourite run of the year was the 25km run at the West End a few months back, where it poured and poured with rain and we got to jump puddles and squish in our shoes. That, and the Bribie Beach Bash. Magic!

GOALS for 2006 - DEEP BREATH - GULP!

So, my goals for 2006 are split into different options - I like to have a back up goal, so if I don't make one, I can still tick off another. Plus, I know some of them are a little ambitious, but like the quote I saw today on a card - "shoot for the moon, if you miss, you'll still land among the stars" cheesy, I know but who cares ;)

GOAL ONE: Complete 42.2km (Gold Coast Marathon)

a. in 3:59
b. in 4:10
c. in 4:20
d. just to cross the finish

GOAL TWO: Half Marathon Times - reduce to:

a.. in 1:50
c. in 1:55
b. in 2:00
a. in 2:05

GOAL THREE: 10km Times - reduce to:

a. in 49:59
b. in 51:00
c. in 52:00
d. in 54:00 (had to put this one down, since I've been trying to crack it forEVER!)

GOAL FOUR: 5km Times - reduce to:

a. 22:00 (muahahaha - doesn't hurt to dream!)
b. 23:00
c. 24:00
d. 25:00

GOAL FIVE: 3km TT times - reduce to:

a. 14:00
b. 14:10
c, 14:20
d. 14:30

GENERAL GOALS AND ASPIRATIONS

I want 2006 to be the year where I take my running up a level... put simply, I'm going to work my butt off ;) I'm going to commit to regular speed work sessions and write a big plan so I can work towards the Gold Coast Half. Depending on how things pan out, I may even have a go at Canberra as a warm up (my conference funding got rejected, so doesnt look like I'll be going to Atlanta afterall)

I'm going to carry on doing triathlon, but more as a cross training exercise and for the fun. Though of course I want to improve my times there too ;)

I also want to do the caboolture dusk til dawn - the six hour event which I shall just walk-run-walk, slow and steady...

By the end of the year and just between you, me and the gatepost, I may even have a go at a 50km event. Just, you know, to see if I can ;)

7 comments:

Tesso said...

Welcome back Hannah!!!!

Ooooh, your goals are just so exciting - I got goosebumps reading them! I'm particularly excited about Caboolture - you will just love it.

It still astounds me to think you've only been running 12 months. Gosh, you've come so far in such a short space of time. Makes me wonder where you will be this time next year.


PS Thanks for the reminder that heat and humidity ain't that bad :-)

Wobbly man said...

What a great list of goals. I hope we can catch up at an event somewhere. Great Christmas tree too.

Cirque said...

Welcome Home Hannah. 2006 will be a great running year for you, I'm looking forward to watching you achieve all your goals.

Jen said...

Welcome bank Hannah & Happy New Year! (((hugs)))

Wow, what a list of goals! I have no doubt that with your determination and persistence, you will achieve your goals for the year. Looking forward to cheering you on at GCM!

Jxx

TA and the Gnome said...

Welcome home Hannah! I really liked your goal set, but the line I liked best was I'm going to carry on doing triathlon ... for the fun simply because it is so easy to get so goal oriented that all the fun is lost.

Have an enormous, achieving, fun year!

sfG

Shane said...

Welcome back,
To read how far you have progressed in 12 mths is amazing. Im sure you will reach many of those goals in 2006. I look forward to reading the success stories in the near future

Tamyka Bell said...

Those are great goals, Hannah. You've got the same kind of plan for Caboolture as I do. I just don't know if I can stay awake that entire time...

You don't need that many backup goals, girl, we believe in you!