Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Exhausted 10km :(

Dear me, seems that huge week last week (combined with my long walk yesterday) has really caught up with me. I think doing the best part of two full time jobs at once doesnt help matters either - I've had about four hours sleep each night for the last week and generally I'm feeling absolutely exhausted. Ran 10km or so tonight with the club and barely kept up. It was disgusting! I don't even get tomorrow off, unfortunately, since I have to go up the coast to do a photoshoot. I may go and watch the beer mile tomorrow afternoon at least, if I can finish the work I'm supposed to have already done :( argh!

Consequently, I've decided to take another rest day tomorrow. Friday I've got a PT session but I'm declaring my legs and glutes a no-go area because I want to do the 5km time trial. Then sunday is the West End 15km which I shall just take slow and steady. As yet, I still haven't been able to show Phil my training program, so I think I'll have to email it to him instead!

I'm going to try increasing my mileage much more slowly, building up from 40km. I think I've just got to find what average works best for me - I think as long as I can stay on my feet for four to six hours and cover 42km, that's the main thing! I'm hoping that after a few weeks of this more intense training my body will get used to it and I won't feel quite as awful as I do at the moment!

Tell me you get used to it! Please?

8 comments:

Shane said...

I have just started back at work myself, and in saying this my training has dried up to nothing since the Regatta. Im sure it gets easier but Im not the best person to answer this as I have no structure to my training and is always a constant battle. :)

Im planning to do the TT on Sat, so I might see you there :)

Wobbly man said...

I think I am just getting used to the feeling of always wanting to crawl into bed.

Cirque said...

Hannah, your body needs sleep if you want it to perform. If you can't get the sleep you need then it's OK to be a bit kinder to yourself.

Stephen Lacey said...

Hannah, your body gets used to it.

It does take time though. There is no doubt that you will constantly feel tired during mileage build-ups for something like a marathon. Eventually your recovery rate improves, but it might be better to dig in with determination and mental toughness than to expect any quick relief, mainly because you are going to be continually building. Good that you are prepared to do that slowly though. That will help.

The one comfort you can take is that the triedness shows tht your body is being stressed and is adapting. If you didn't feel tired you would be at a fitness plateau. The tricky bit is managing the level of tiredness. If there is one piece of advice I could give, it is be fascist about your sleep. Make every effort to get at least 8 hours, and constantly make sure that tomorrow's planned training dictates what and how you do things today.

2P said...

Hey Hannah - turn that frown upside down :-)

I think there is a tendency after a break to over-do things a bit because you feel fresh and I don't think that is a bad thing - I mean make hay while the sun shines right? I bet everytime you think of that 60k week you crack a smile! And rightly so - so was it worth it? Of course it was you now know you can do it!

The trick is now to let your body adjust whilst not being too hard on yourself and then slide right along and start the build up to get back there again in a sustainable way.

Oh and yeah - what Steve said :-)

Toasty said...

You get used to it ..... I don't, my legs are hurting ... but you will get used to it, trust me.

TA and the Gnome said...

Hannah, I was having real problems with tiredness, finding that I collapse in bed in the afternoon after races. Two things made a difference (one of them very scary). The first was what the others said - get more sleep. Don't let anyone (including yourself) deprive you of the necessary.

The scary one is that I had to start to eat more, and that really made a difference. Try upping your good carbs (if you dare :-) )

sfG

CJ said...

You do get used to it but don't forget you are also working 2 jobs and only getting 4 hours sleep a night. That's a big ask for anybody.

I find I have to eat quality carbs and protein, hydrate well, and sleep. Recovery is an important part of marathon training.

Take care and keep smiling :-)