Sunday, January 15, 2006

2:15 solo run and my very own 6hr race

On saturday, went to the running buddies and did a *rreeaaalllllyyyy* pathetic 10km down to the botanical gardens and back. I drive myself insane when I run alone and without music - I cheat continuously, having walk breaks left, right and centre. It makes me wonder how on earth I'm going to manage to get my mlieage up for the GCM when there's no one as slow as me who wants to run the longer distances.

Moan, moan, moan, LOL! Gods I sound grumpy, don't I? *shakes self*

Last night I went up the coast to see friends and got back really reeeeaaallly late. Woke up at 5.30am, and then realised I'd never make it to the West End for 6am for the 14km start and went back to bed. I was really tired, but when I woke up the second time I was really irritated with myself for doing it. I really wanted to do the 14k to prove to myself that my recent spate of walk breaks *is* all in my head and I *can* still run without them. Meh. Sam sent me a text message about missing it - *L* the Brisbane running grapevine is faster than a speeding bullet, it seems!

Perhaps it was a good thing really, since it made me kick myself up the bum and start to organise things. This week has been a bit slack since it's my first full week back and I somehow reckoned that meant I could take it easier *L* (except for the mount cootha run that is!) so this afternoon I resolved to put in a decent effort as penance.

I headed out of the door and embarked on my very own running adventure across three suburbs and numerous bike paths through Kedron Brook, Stafford and McDowall. Got home 2:15 later, so that was the biggest training run I've ever done on my own! No idea how far it was - am about to have a look at the gmap pedometer website to try and work it out. There were lots of walk breaks of course but also lots of hills, so I reckon I probably did 20km.

Phil is doing training plans, so I'm going to go and see him with mine and get him to tweak it. Next week I'm going back to speedwork, come hell or high water. Enough messing about - time to start putting in some hard work and trusting that despite what my brain tells me, I am not getting worse really!

Tomorrow I've got a job interview for a bit of temping work (January is deathly quiet for the self employed!) so if I get it, I'll be working in the city centre for a while - am thinking of joining the regatta runners a couple of times a week to bump my mileage up. Oh, and thanks for all the comments everyone - my email is playing up so I only just got them - thanks for the HRM info, LL - makes sense - still trying to work out how to use it but I'm getting there!

Oh, and Woe, it seems the Dusk til Dawn run is going to clash with another commitment as I feared, so I'm not going to be able to do it :( I think I may just do my very own little six hour event around Brisbane instead (should kill or cure my penchant for walking breaks!) - start at 3am from the regatta one saturday maybe :) details to follow, no doubt!

6 comments:

Shane said...

Good work on the solo effort, it is always harder and more boring to train alone, so good on you for sticking to it.

If it makes you feel better it was very humid this morning at West end, not nice at all for running. Good luck with the interview.

2P said...

2 hours 15 mins on your own is a good hit out Hannah - I like the sound of your very own 6 hour ;-)

Lulu said...

Good luck with the interview Hannah! It's really hard running on your own so doing 2.15 is great. A few more of those will get you back to your previous form!

Tesso said...

Ah yes Hannah, your absence at BRRC this morning was definitely noted :-)

But sometimes sleep is actually more important and it sure paid off for you, getting out and doing 2:15 on your own is great.

I have that same problem running alone with no music, it seems such a struggle. Just hope you have it if you venture out for 6 hours on your own!

Wobbly man said...

Running alone that long is really tough. Great job missy!

Toasty said...

Stop beating yourself up .... 10K is never pathetic and there is nothing wrong with walking either.