Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The speedwork that wasnt!

Another UK piccy. This is my gorgeous lovely three year old niece, Charley. While I was away, I endeavoured to get her to follow in her aunties running footsteps by chasing her across the sand in Devon ;) She's not hooked yet, but give me time;)

My Mt Cootha effort definitely caught up with me on sunday - I went to a social going-away run for MJ who is off to join the girls in green. Lovely to see everyone. We went to the wetlands which are really close to me. Like Tess, I've never run there before, but I'll be back! Very relaxing and peaceful. Cycle track is good too - good place for me to practice my turns without the fear of getting squished by over zealous truck drivers. Anyway, most people decided they were running 10km, but after the first 200m I knew my legs weren't in agreeance - had that horrible concrete boots feeling. It was such an effort, that Tracey and I turned around at the 3km mark, making a 6km effort with walk breaks. Liz was supposed to be on a rest day, so she came back and did the return with us. Had a good yack.

On Monday Night I was so sore from Mt.C that I could hardly walk. How can three weeks make so much difference? it's so unfair! LOL! Luckily, the worst was soon over, but I took yesterday as a rest day just incase. I've decided the quickest way to demotivate myself is to run while I'm really sore, since it inevitably makes me run badly and therefore makes me feel crap.

Anyway, this morning, I went and did my first PT session for 2006. Paiiinnnn!!!! PAIIINNN!!!! Gods, it was disgusting. I sweated and swore and complained my way through various sets. Tony (PT'er) has decided that we need to work on my upper thighs so I can drive through with more power when I run. It's something I know I'm bad at - when I'm tired, I shuffle along without moving my upper legs much. Really bad habit and slows me down. I think speedwork will help me with that - sprinting makes me lift my knees right up. I've got homework to do, including regular sets of dynamic lunges (evil, evil things) huge step ups (also evil) and jumping, knees to chest repetitively (yep, evil as well) Oh well. If all this evil makes me quicker, then give me horns and call me satan!

After the PT session I went to the pool and did a very slow, very pathetic 300m with many breaks. The cold water felt great on sore muscles so hopefully tomorrow I won't be too crippled. I was going to go back to speedwork tonight, but alas, I'm just too buggered from this mornings efforts. I figure it's probably not worth it/good for you to try and do speedwork on tired legs - there's another session on thursday I'll go to instead.

Tony also tried to sign me up for the Mooloolaba Tri - the whole thing this time, but I'm feeling a tad scared at the prospect of doing an olympic distance tri there - it's a USM event and if it's as big as Noosa, I don't relish the thought of having to deal with the washing machine of people... although, if I got right at the back it might be okay. That said, I know there's surf at Mooloolaba and as yet, I've got no experience at swimming through waves (aside from a failed attempt at learning to surf) plus I know there's a hill in the run section. I think I'd rather do a full distance at Bribie first.... less pressure, although the bigger number of people at Moo would mean less pressure to finish in a reasonable time so as not to hold marshalls etc up.

And then there's the issue of the BRRC race, which is a 7-35km self select event - which I had planned to do 35km at in preparation for working my way up to 42k.... I dunno! I guess I need to have a good think about it.

I also have this horrible, horrible feeling that the Dusk to Dawn is going to clash with another commitment - and if it does, I won't be able to do the run :( but I'm ignoring the nagging feeling in the hopes I'm mistaken. Shall have to find out.

7 comments:

Wobbly man said...

What a lovely, lovely pic Hannah - you two look so very happy! Thanks for sharing it. I hope all those evil activities don't make you evil!

Toasty said...

I can see why you might be tired. Coming back and hitting Cootha has a huge effort so sore it is. But it sounds like a good sore so keep up all the hard work because it will pay off.

Tesso said...

So many races, so little time. Fingers crossed you can still make Caboolture.

PS Luv the pic :-)

Clairie said...

Hannah....don't go making excuses on us.

I am working at the BRRC 35k selfselect so will be good to have someone out there I know to cheer on.

See ya Saturday maybe :)

miners said...

Great piccie Hannah - and great to see you back having a go at Cootha again so soon.

I haven't done Mooloolaba myself, but I know it's not as crowded as Noosa. It's also a very popular tri on the calendar though. If you're comfortable with your swimming though, you could finish it comfortably enough. After all, we need to get that purple trisuit out on display ;)

2P said...

Hey Hannah welcome back - just got back from hols myself (though not overseas).

Love the look of those goals you have set for 2006 especially the GC Marathon - you made awesome progress in '05 and I have no doubt you will slay your marathon debut.

Cheers, 2P

Shane said...

Yes, the great relaxing feeling of holidays is always squashed by the feeling of returning to exercise.

It is so hard to choose races, in regards to triathlon I want to do an olympic distance event this year aswell, I went to watch Mooloolaba last year along with Noosa. Even though Mooloolaba is smaller I think that Noosa will be a better/easier event. However nothing can beat a club event to begin with, alot more casual.