Saturday, January 07, 2006

15km Mt Cootha Run

With some trepidation, I ventured out to the running buddies this morning and despite thinking I would do a flat easy 10km, decided to do the Mount Cootha run instead. I figured that if todays run was going to be painful (which it was, either way!) it might as well be really painful! I walked more of it than last time, but then, I wasn't jetlagged, 3kgs heavier and 3 weeks less fit before ;)

Despite all that, I really enjoyed it - it's such a nice place to run - the smells, the bush - and, even better was the fact that it started to rain just as I reached the top and all the clouds rolled in so it was all misty and mysterious. It's one of the many reasons I love living here - you can run through big fat clouds and soft raindrops and not freeze to death! Because I was sooo slow, I did the circuit on my own again and it was nice to get some thinking time to myself as well.

Am contemplating making it a weekly thing - probably just me until I can run the whole thing without stopping - will start keeping track of my total running time over the course and then work on increasing that bit by bit. infact, add Mt Cootha to my goals for 2006 - I'm going to run the whole thing non stop by the end of the year!

Caught up with Tesso and Clairie which was lovely - feels like I've been away forever, even though it was only three weeks! Social run tomorrow with MJ - looking forward to that too, and hopefully seeing Sam (who wasnt at running buddies today) and Tracey too.

It's sooo good to be running again - nothing can be as painful as todays effort was, so the only way is up!

8 comments:

Tesso said...

And it was lovely to see you again Hannah! It really does feel like you've been away so much longer.

I can't believe you tackled the mountain on your first run back - well done! It really is special up there, and even more so when its cloudy or rainy. We are so lucky to have it in our back yard.

Lulu said...

That's a good way to start the year. You've got some great goals laid out for 2006 and I look forward to reading all about your achievement of them.

Aki said...

Sounds like a good run, and I'm sure you will achieve more goals than even you think in 2006. Go the 22min 5k, woohoo!

Unknown said...

Welcome back from hols, Hannah! Agree that running in the bush has its own secial magic...I love doing my off road runs alone...a special time & place it think. Good running for 2006!

CJ said...

It sounds like a lovely run to do (and challenging). You are very lucky to have something like tha so close.

Clairie said...

Hi Hannah,

Sorry didn't goss much. I was a bit brain dead on Saturday. Really great to see you and bloody hell - fancy doing Mt Cootha as your first run back in Queensland. Nothing like breaking yourself in heh!!

Will be fun to run with you this year and I am expressly looking forward to cheering you in the 6hr event whilst I sit and drink a few beers hee hee

Toasty said...

I read all your goals ..... and now I feel exhausted. Top effort on Mt Cootha as a first up run.

Ewen said...

Sounds like a great run Hannah. I'll think about those soft warm raindrops when I'm crunching on frost in July.