Wednesday, January 18, 2006

7-10km yuck run

Went to running group tonight, bit the bullet and set out with the middle group again. I've been feeling much better running again and felt a bit more confident than last week. Unfortunately, several of the people in the group are training for various things and so we went out quite fast (for me) and did some nasty hills too. We got half an hour in and I knew I was flagging because I had to start walking some of the hills. I hate doing it when you're running with a group at night - falling behind is not really an option and it means someone has to come back with you :(

Lucky for me, one other guy (who also usually runs with that group) was struggling, so he and Schultzy turned back with me. As soon as we settled into a more sedate pace, I felt fine and could've carried on even once we got back to the shop. Looks like I'll have to go down a group again though - I hate having to pike half way and hold other people back because I can't keep up. When I ran with them before, we had a sort of a middle-ground group who would hang off the back then drop off when we needed to, but most of them have either sped up heaps or are doing their own thing. It's frustrating really, but I guess that's life. I just seem to be at a weird point in my running generally, where I'm a bit faster than most beginners but not quite fast enough for most other people... so I've got a severe shortage of running buddies to actually run with! I need to egg tracey on to start training seriously with me - she's thinking of doing mt cootha with me on saturday.

One positive thing is that my mileage has jumped up quite sharply this week. Provided I do my track session tomorrow and then the saturday run, I'll finish the week on 50-something kms! Most I've done before in a week is just about 40. I'll have to have a bit of an easier week next week so I don't do myself a mischief. Ten percent rule *cough cough* I'm listening, really!

CR B-fer and I have set ourselves a little competition for 2006 to see who can crack a sub-23 min 5k, sub-50min 10k and 1:50 HM in 2006. I suspect it won't be me since my goals are a tad optimistic ;) but it'll be fun trying!

In non running related news, I survived my first debt-collecting work day today. I suspect I'll have this temp job until they try and put me on the phones. Then I suspect I'll be off. Oh well! At least it's work!

Oh, and Apologies to everyone whose left me nice comments on my blog lately, I'll have to sit down and have a mammoth blog reading session to catch up on you all. I love you all really, honest ;) *hugs*

8 comments:

Aki said...

I love these goals you're setting, and never mind not keeping up, I didn't even get out today, good on you!:)

Clairie said...

50kms!!! thats impressive Hannah. Keep up the good work but definitely don't overdo it...can't have you wussing out on us on account of injury :)

When I first started running with Tess I could not run faster than 6min kms for longish runs and all my races were done at 5min pace.

Overtime my body has adjusted to speedwork and I have seen my times come down to where I am comfortable (almost) doing a long run at 5min pace and fast stuff quicker.

So keep it up and you'll being in the next group turning around to go and get some 'other' straggler before long...

Lulu said...

It's good to have tough goals to aim for. I'm sure you've heard the saying "aim for the moon and even if you miss you end up in the stars" or something along those lines.

Keep up that level of training and your times will soon come down.

Carolyne said...

You're amazing Hannah! Upping the mileage during the week will do it to you every time, so just getting through is good news.

Goal setting is important, although they are pretty lofty goals, particularly the shorter distances! I'm dreaming of a sub 23 minute 5k this calendar year, and it looks further away than ever!

Hang in there with the job for the time being and don't let the Turkeys get you down. We all know how talented you are. "We love youse all!"

2P said...

oooo 50k's for the week is very impressive - well done Hannah :-)

Stephen Lacey said...

Great work Hannah. Just wait til you get the adaptation from stringing a few 50-km weeks together. How does the old saying go about it not happening overnight...

I can't believe a person of your talents is short of work. I'd have thought you'd be inundated with referrals from CRs after all that wonderful and generous work you did on our banners. I don't know if it will make you feel any better, but at least you are not scientist.
On a happier note, I think she did get a job in the end.

Cirque said...

Don't be disheartened Hannah! Just keep remembering how much you've achieved in such a short time. Are you thinking of doing the tri at Robina on Sunday?

Shane said...

You are doing great Hannah, doing that type of mileage in the first few weeks back is impressive.

I wouldn't let it concern you too much about holding people back. That what running groups are for, we are all there to help each other out. Keep up the good work Im sure you will be back in no time.

Well done tonight (thursday track), for someone who has done alot this week you ran well.