Sunday, August 21, 2005

Noosa 2:10

Well, at least I took five minutes off my gold coast time ?!?! I've come to the conclusion that it's just going to take me some time to get better at this. All things considered and having done three half marathons in three months, I'm feeling quite good about today's effort. It'd have been nice to crack 2 hours, but at the same time I kept thinking about what the lovely LuckyLegs and others have said about just enjoying the race - which is exactly what I did :)

Drove with Sam down to Noosa on saturday afternoon and checked into our youth hostel - which was quite literally next to the start line. We went and had dinner and watched the sun set on the beach. Had dinner at the SLSC and on the way back we overheard the big, burly bouncers outside discussing their crocheting and knitting. I'm serious *grins* I love it when people refuse to bend to stereotypes ;) May his craft project be very successful ;)

Played some pool (badly on my part) chatted to a backpacker and then hit the hay. Had another late-to-the-startline dream and woke up thinking we'd overslept. Which we hadn't of course, but race nerves get me every time! Headed down to the start line and caught up with everyone, then before we knew it, we were off.

I started with the 2 hour pacer, but pretty quickly decided just to run my own race. The purple balloons disappeared off into the distance, I missed my optimistic sub 2 splits right from the second km onwards *L* and so I just concentrated on getting comfortable. It took me the first 5km to get into a rhythym and warm up (my heels and calves were a bit tight). I started running with a couple of other women who were going at exactly my pace which really helped.

The weather was absolutely beautiful and the run itself is very pretty, with lots of scenery and stuff to look at. There were a couple of bridges to go over in each 10km loop, but surprisingly, they didn't bother me at all. As time went on, I kept expecting to have to walk like I did at the Gold Coast, but in the end, I hardly even stopped for water (perhaps twice) and instead, I drank my fuel belt bottles which were much easier to manage while running. I also ate half a power bar at about 10km, which I think made a huge difference. Previously, I've never eaten before or during a long run because I've been thinking about the extra calories or whatever, but having done it this time round, I'm sold - I'll have to check those gels out next time, because the power bar was hard to eat and swallow on the run.

Got to about 15km and thought to myself, any minute now I'm going to crash and burn like I have previously... but I kept on feeling fine. My legs were getting tired of course, but I could keep going. Even better, the orange pacers appeared next to us (I think they'd been going a little too fast and slowed down) so we were bang on target - At which point I just vowed to hang on, so I'd beat my GC time. Before I knew it, we were coming round the last km and into the home strait, and I found I could even sprint, so off I went - coming in at 2.10 with the pacer.

So even though I was nowhere near 2 hours, I still finished feeling really good - tired, but good. I just can't get over how much better I felt than the GC and even the B2B 12km. That's probably why I don't feel as disappointed as I did after the GC - I know that even though I didn't run faster, I ran better.

My next goal is the upcoming West End 25km - this time just to complete it ;)

8 comments:

Tesso said...

Oh Hannah, that is just awesome!!!! 5 minutes is a huge hunk to take off a half marathon time, and to do it feeling so good is fantastic. Its just a matter of time now for that sub 2.

And the 25k at West End in two weeks - yay! I reckon the five 5k loops are tougher mentally than they are physically, but there is a bright side - I'm on duty that day so will be able to cheer you on ... five times :-)

Cirque said...

Well done Hannah! I'm so glad this race was more comfortable for you. Don't forget it is really early days yet and you have heaps of time to fine tune your race strategy.
Good luck at West End!!!

CJ said...

Hannah you should definitely eat before and during a long run - you need to build up those glycogen stores so you don't 'hit the wall'. The energy gels are easy to carry and a lot easier to get down than a Power Bar. I use Gu gels - they come in a variety of flavours though I tend to go for vanilla or chocolate.

Wobbly man said...

Great run Hannah! Good luck for your 25.

beanz said...

great run Hannah

are you going to run in the UK at Christmas?


lots of good races around then

beanz, running in the UK

Chelle said...

superb effort Hannah - every time I saw you out there you had a smile on your face and were looking strong. Well done.

Jen said...

Woohoo *she jumps up and down clapping*

Congratulations Hannah - not only is 5mins a huge PB, you felt so much more comfortable out there than you did at GC. Your goal of a sub-2hr Half is on its way. Well done; I'm so proud of you!! J

Aki said...

Congrats on the run Hannah, it's taken me a heck of a lot to knock off 7 minutes of my Half PB, I thought it was a reasonable goal but on the day it almost didn't happen. halfs can be quite nasty, and now you've done 1 more than I have. :)