Saturday, August 27, 2005

8km bush run and a bootcamp dilemma

Went for a run on Mount Cootha this morning. Was going to try and do the route everyone else does up there, but I couldn't work it out - perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't see a way to run to the top (on the road, as opposed to the tracks) without using the main road to the restaurant and having to run right right in the path of oncoming traffic... any brisbane people help me out here? *bats eyelashes* which roads do you use?

I ended up going up the JC Slaughters track like last time, doing a quick water pitstop at the cafe and then going adventuring down a few different trails. Went past a little roadside memorial for someone called 'Bear' - sad to see. Whoever he was, I think he was young - there were happy birthday notes from his mates tied to a tree. After that, I diverted down a few trails (the one that goes to chapel road?) but stopped because it was all downhill and what goes down, must come up and down again (to get back to my car, anyway!)

It was a nice run though - Tess, you were right, it does chase away the blues. I love going in the morning because there are people having barbeque breakfasts in all the picnic areas. I think that one of the nicest smells in the world is campfire smoke mixing with bush smells, fresh air and eucalypt. Magic. It reminds me of when I was younger and very much a hippy - I travelled a lot alone and spent a fair bit of time in the middle of nowhere, at festivals and the like. Being in the bush soothes me and I finished my run feeling very peaceful :)

I got home and decided that I should sign up for another 3 week bootcamp. It does however start on the 5th September, the day after the next West End run... which makes me ponder whether I should actually do the 25km there or go for the 15km or 5km instead - the first day of bootcamp is a fitness test, and there's no way I'll be able to do well at that the day after running 25km! Alternatively, I could just do both and not care if I do badly on my fitness test (afterall, it's the end test that shows how much you've improved!) mmm, dilemma! What do you lot think?

5 comments:

Jen said...

Go for the 25kms. It is a fitness test after all. Just don't do the a 25km run the day before the FINAL fitness test, LOL !

Glad to hear that your blues have lifted. I was about to send you a message to see how you were going. J

beanz said...

What a great run!

and its winter there too?

Cirque said...

I would definitely do the 25km run. That way you can impress everyone by how much your fitness improves during the course of the boot camp.

CJ said...

Definitely run the 25km the day before the fitness test. As you said, its the final fitness test that counts. Glad you had a good run - it sounded so nice.

Tesso said...

Hannah, the main road up to the top is really the only road. Its just a matter of staying alert ... and hoping the drivers are as well :-)