Sunday, April 24, 2005

Lest We Forget Run

Bit of a large running weekend *grins* lots of fun! I met heaps of CoolRunners from outside of Brissie (and some from Brissie I hadnt yet met!) The race venue was a sea of blue and yellow at times :)

On saturday night I ventured out to have pre race dinner/drinks with CR people. The restaurant was right opposite the Brisbane 'My Restaurant Rules' restaurant, The Louvre. So we got to watch TV cameras and crowds swarming around, while we enjoyed our pizza and pasta in comfort. The food was really nice - I had said I wasnt going to eat but when I got there and saw the fettucini carbonara and smelt the parmesan, I was toast. I can't remember the last time I let myself have creamy pasta and it was yummy, so I am unrepentant!

Chatted a lot to Ray (aka Eagle) about the benefits/pitfalls of doing track. Coupled with a few other people's input, I've decided I am going to persevere with track. It's not that I find it painful per se, just that I don't particularly like that feeling of hitting your absolute, upper limit... but by all accounts, that's what improves your limit (and endurance of it) so I suppose it must pay off eventually.

I was going to get up early and see the marathoners start at 6am and 6.30am, but I didn't wake up til 6am so that plan was out of the window. The 8km started at 8.55am and I ended up arriving at about 7am and spent the time helping out doing various stuff. I quite enjoyed the little bit of marshalling I did - I think it should be compulsory for all runners to do it at some point, just to get an idea of what the other side of the coin is like. Definitely an eye opener and I have a lot of respect for the organisers and all the volunteers who work their arses off to make things run smoothly. I also loved cheering everyone on. It's such a buzz to give people an obvious lift... and, heaps of them smiled and one or two cracked jokes with me... that must take an effort in itself - I can't even begin to think straight when I run!

Bumped into my cousin at the start of the 8km - nice to think someone else in the family is running. We started off together but soon got separated. My legs were a bit sore from training (AGAIN!) despite the fact that he said he wasnt going to work me as hard this week. This time, a different part hurt! Anyway, I dropped into a bit of a rhythym and before long Tracey (from the Run Inn Runners) caught up beside me. We're so similar in pace, it's funny - what are the odds? We ran along together for a while, then just as we entered the loop around the botanical gardens, she dropped back to walk for a bit. I took a drink on the return loop and discovered that me and orange enervit (think that's what it must have been - they sponsored the event) don't mix... made me feel a bit queasy.

I passed over the Goodwill bridge and started to flag a bit... it was really, really hot and I kept missing the km signs, which really threw me off. It felt twice as long as the 10km I did at the West End last sunday. I was sweating like hell and started wondering how on earth I was ever, ever thinking I could actually do the half in july. With two kms or so to go, I lapsed into a few walking intervals. Tracey caught up with me again and geed me on, but in the end she took off ahead. As we got to the last km and entered the tunnel just before the finish, I found my usual bit of extra I didn't know I had and took off on a mad sprint for the line. A guy tagged on the back of me and then overtook me, so I chased him to the line but couldnt catch him. I looked at the clock as I went by and thought it read something like 42 minutes something or other, but then when I found Tracey, she'd done 47 and said I wasnt far behind her, so I think I probably did something like 48 and was just wishfully hallucinating. Will have to wait til the times come out to see exactly how I went.

I was a bit disappointed with my time and having to walk, but I felt like my splits were quicker. I couldnt find my watch this morning so I couldnt pace myself as I was going to. I think I need another West End Run to get my confidence back. The good news is that I'm now all inspired to knuckle down and work hard to improve. I think next year, if all goes well, I may even have a go at a whole marathon... but, a long, long way to go before entertaining that thought seriously!

And finally, as I was running this morning, I thought about my Grandad, who wasn't an Anzac, but fought in WWII. I thought about what they did for us and about how the Anzacs had to cover the same sort of distance with weapons, ammunitions and fight at the same time. I thought about how lucky we all are and I really hope that events like today continue as a way to remember those who gave their lives for us.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A great post, Hannah & lots of insight into how some days are not so good & the run is really hard. However, persevere with your training & build a strong base of endurance no matter how long it takes; endurance is the single most important element, in my mind, in order to get yourself ready for half & then full marathons. All the very best...you did well today!

Eagle said...

Hannah,
I enjoyed our time together and it was pleasanr sitting next to you in the resturant. You have an inspiring background and I admire you for what you have done, what you are doing and what you intend to do.

Keep at it and keep up the blogging as I thoroughly enjoy the read. Love to catch up with you again.

Chelle said...

Well done Hannah - was great to meet you on Saturday night, even if we didnt really get chance to chat.
I know what you mean about the race heating up, that stretch on the way back along Southbank really zapped me too!

Keep up the good work, and see you for the GC half !