Thursday, April 14, 2005

Get your motor....

Feeling a bit better today... went to running group last night and they all perked me up no end - we were going to do 1:20 again, but both Tracey and I felt a bit tired, so we did 1:05 total running time (11-12km). Even better was that I got back on the scales this morning: 77.9kg *L* wahoo. Am heading in the right direction... am not getting back on them for a while now.

The people I run with really ground me - I have a tendency to want results now, now, now but they keep reminding me that I'm comparing myself and my times to people who've been running for years... I've gone from barely being able to run at all to doing 14km in just over three months and these things take time. I think part of it is that the first sort of results you see are really elational - actually being able to run a whole distance is so amazing when you know you couldnt do it before - and then, once you know you can run it, the emphasis changes from distance to time.... and thats much more of a long term goal.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that I'm trying to adopt a more relaxed attitude about it all. No point getting up tight over it. As the very lovely Joan said to me - I've got years ahead of me to run - so what's the rush! *grins*

Hope you're all well and having a good week. Thanks for all the support :)

2 comments:

Ewen said...

Hannah, you will have a very relaxed attitude after 20 years or more of running.

That's why I like reading the blogs of newcomers like yourself. The excitement you display is infectious.

Take it easy - it's a lifetime thing. Flash is right, muscle is heavy. Your weight will come down over time with longer and/or faster running. Just don't rush to get there! Stay healthy.

Aki said...

Hannah, I'm just coming to terms with the same thing myself! Certainly not easy when you want everything yesterday, but if we're going to be in this, we've got to be there for the long haul. If it was too easy to achieve, we wouldn't have any reason to keep running!