Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Up a Running Group (11km!!!)

So, this week I officially 'graduated' at running group, into the next one up (now in the slowest non-beginners group instead). Oh, god it was hard and I had to slow to a walk about four times for between 30 seconds to 2 minutes each. They had a few water stops too along the way. We did about 11km all up - despite all the breaks, it was still the furthest I've ever run. Ever. I wanted to stop after the first 3.5km and basically spent the rest of the hour wanting it to be over!

I felt like apologising all the time to the poor girls who had to run with me, because I felt like I was slowing them down all the time, but they were really good about it. They started egging me on and think that I should aim for a half rather than my 10km goal in May! I had toyed with the idea of doing the Noosa half in August, so maybe that might be a good plan. I'd like just to get to the point of being able to run 10km without stopping first, though! *laughs*

I keep telling myself that it can only get easier. Tonight was definitely a challenge and I really had to push myself. They all made me promise not to get disheartened and not come back next week. I won't give up (I'm stubborn like that) but I've just realised I made other commitments next wednesday, so I might see if I can get hold of their email addresses, just so they know I havent piked out when I don't show next week. I hate it when life gets in the way of running :(

The other thing I learn from tonight's run, is that a decent sports bra is really REALLY important. I chafed my nipples and they're sooooo sore!!!! Shall have to go shopping for a few this week.

I've been a bit quiet the last few days because I had a week off (under trainers orders!) just to recover from the intense month or so I've had. Definitely feel better for it - had been starting to feel the strain in my joints from bootcamp, what with the dodgy hip episode and all. Tonight's run was my first day back into it all and tomorrow night I've got a weights session.

Still havent decided quite what to do about the gym as yet. I think I will probably keep a gym membership, if only for the social aspect of it (I like working out with friends) but I'll probably switch to Fitness First instead (currently with Zest).

4 comments:

Aki said...

Congrats on getting this far, over 10k now. Feels good right? If not sore. ;)

Anonymous said...

I haven't run 10km without slowing down and walking in bits and I can still do sub 60min so I wouldn't worry.

Clairie said...

Oh you need to be introduced to Bodyglide as well as a good sports bra! Helps with chaffing all over the body.

www.bodyglide.com

Great effort Hannah, the few days after a weeks rest are the worst on the body I always think.

Hannah said...

Thanks for that link, Clairie - this bodyglide stuff sounds great!