Thursday, February 24, 2005

She Who Dares (climbs big hills!)

It's amazing what you find when you're out running - I think I may have found one of the biggest hills in the southern hemisphere just around the corner from my place. It's so big it almost deserves a nickname!

I found it on my way back from a run cut short by the fact that:

a. my left sock (which was a proper coolmax trainer liner) kept slipping down my heel and making my shoe rub
b. I made the mistake of eating a peach just before running because I was starving. Big mistake. (it decided to stick around!) ow.
c. I'm exhausted from a huge week and only had four hours sleep last night

So, these three factors taken into account, I'm guessing I did around 3km, if that - so to make up for it, I decided to scale the heady heights of the gynormous hill on the way home. I may even take a photo of it next time so you can all share in it's bigness *grins* I started running up it thinking I'd get perhaps a third of the way up before dying. In fact, I almost made it the entire way - stopped about 20m from the top because my heart was about to jump through my mouth. Really, really annoying because I was just soooooo close! My mind was willing, my legs were not!

I think this hill may become a new obsession of mine til I can run the entire thing ;) I'm pathologically unable to let it beat me! (Incidentally, this is why I love blogging - anyone else but other endorphin junkies would think I was insane for arguing with a hill!)

Have started doing some serious stretching in an effort to lengthen my hammies out. Hopefully it should help, but when things quieten down a little, I will chase up the yoga, swim squad etc. I hand my thesis in at the end of next weekish, so things should become a little calmer quite soon.

Spoke to my PT today about triathlon. They're organising a Triathlon club which I'll get involved with... I think the secret for me is to train with other people - I push myself harder. I just need a bike of some description. I was thinking about the Tri on my run tonight, wondering if I really have lost the plot. But you know what they say... She Who Dares, Wins - so I'm going to give it my best shot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just do what Aki did and call it "Hannah's Hill"