Friday, February 11, 2005

It's worse than that, it's Dead Gym!

I've just heard on the grapevine that my gym is closing at the end of March... I'm so upset! I've been going there for two years and it's become a part of me, in a lot of ways. Stupid to feel so attached to what really amounts to a pile of bricks and mortar, but I am.

The thought of being without a gym membership sends me into a slight spin. It's like a security blanket or something - knowing it's always there when I need it and I can reach for a routine to stop myself slipping back into old habits.

But truthfully, I've not actually been to the gym in a while, what with all the running and bootcamp I've been doing. Soooo, *takes a deep breath* that makes me ask the question - Do I really need a gym membership anymore? Have I changed enough in myself not to need that commitment to a healthier life? It's a bit of a scary question really, though I know the answer.

If I do end up running three to four times a week and carry on with personal training each fortnight, is it worth me paying for something extra I'm not really using that much? I don't know. Then there's the fact that I'll be moving in a few months and there's no point picking a gym that doesnt have a club near me if I do take out another membership. Mnnn.

Oh Well, not a huge problem in the scheme of things. Worse things happen at sea, as they say!

My trainer rang me today to check up on me and make sure I was having a rest day bless him. He used to have to ring me to check I was exercising, now he does it to check that I'm not *Laughs* How times change. To be honest, I'm quite happily having a few days off at that - I've been flat out this week with only four hours sleep a night for the last three nights and I'm absolutely, truly exhausted. I was supposed to go hiking with my boy (we were going to do the Binna Burra to O'Reillys 20km track) but that'll have to wait.... I think I'd pass out if I tried that tomorrow!!!

Right... my bed is calling me....

2 comments:

Bennyr said...

Hannah,

I'm going through similar thoughts at the moment. My gym has just installed a $4 parking fee, making the whole thing a bit pricey. And, like you, I'm not sure I'm getting value out of it anyway.

It's a weekly swim squad keeping me there, but that's hardly worth it. Oh, the dilemma! Good luck with your dilemma - your training seems to be going great without it.

Unknown said...

....and a brand new gym is opening here in Mittagong! I've used the one in Bowral for years but this one is only about 3mins. drive from home; had a peek in this morning ...looks good; I know how you & Bennyr feel, Hannah, I don't often use a gym but like to have it there when I need it, e.g. always for intervals, tempo runs, & bad weather. I've always wanted to do spin classes & this new gym has them; I won't take out membership unless I go for more than 3 visits per week; less costly as a casual up to that number. Hope you settle down! LL