Tuesday, February 22, 2005

5km 33:44 incline 1%

Wow, long time without a blog entry. What is happening to me?

Well, mostly it's life - (am currently finishing an MA at uni - so have been trying to finish my thesis, hang an exhibition and be assessed, work full time and sneak in training) consequently, my training has suffered a little bit... just havent had time - less sleep is just not an option, I'm tired anyway!

I took a couple of days off because of my foot, which is still not quite right, although better than it was. Yesterday I tested it out on the tready at the gym, did 5km on an incline of 1% in 0:33:44 - not my best time by any means, but definitely felt much, much easier than the last time I used the treadmill (and that was without an incline!) the thing that strikes me most is that my breathing is soooo much better. Once I get into that rhythym, I sweat heaps but I'm not fighting for air like I was.

After the run and some weights, I went home and did more work, then went to a stretch class (bit like yoga). I've come to the conclusion that I really need to work on my flexibility...bigtime. Everything is wound so tight that it's embarrassing! My gluts, my hammies, my shoulders, hips and back. Pondering if bikrams yoga (where they heat the room up) might be the way to go.

My trainer misheard me chatting to one of the other stretchees and thought I said that I *was* going to do the Noosa Triathlon in August... before I'd realised, she'd told my trainer, who congratulated me and was all excited and happy... and by then I didn't really have the heart to say, err, well actually...

So looks like I'm up for some serious training! And on that note, I've made the resolution that next week, I'm going to try my luck at the Pat Carroll group. I'm even going to track down a suitable beginners swim squad! No idea what to do about the bike side of things as yet! argh!

4 comments:

Aki said...

Lol, I admire you for your bravery. I'm not sure on friendly runners trying to coax me into the dark side either, but I don't even own I bike, haven't since I was 12.

August will give you a nice time to prepare though. Do the yoga, we neglect flexibility sooo much.

And beware of lane ropes!

Bennyr said...

I'm sure your trainer will get you through the training, but when I started to look at triathlon last year, I found this site:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

I took my program ideas from there. Good luck with it.

Tesso said...

Coming along to Pat's - fantastic! Good timing, we've had quite a few new starters this week. It sure is hard work but so worth it.

So, are we gonna see you back at BRRC on Sunday too? Maybe give that 5k PB of yours nudge ....

Hannah said...

You sure will see me on sunday, Tesso :) Looking forward to it and curious to see if I've improved :)