Friday, February 04, 2005

(un)fit tests

Well, had the first of my final fitness tests today (I'm doing five days a week of bootcamp, but it's actually two separate courses joined together, one of three days, one of two days - which means I got two initial fit tests and two final fit tests) and did worse accross the board on everything except chin ups, for which I did one more.

It's hard not to get annoyed at working so incredibly hard and then getting worse results, but my trainer gave me a pep talk and reminded me that because I'm working at such a high intensity with little or no recovery time, it's really no wonder I'm going slower. The real results will probably show next week when I have just two bootcamp days, one on tuesday and one on thursday. So I'll have more time to recover and be fresh for the tests. Everyone else who did the fit tests today had a rest day yesterday so they all improved. I think I may also be reaching a plateau of sorts with the fit test too... we shall see.

This is probably the first time it's really dawned on me just how important rest days are and how much of a role they play in training - it's really a mental thing too, I think - if you can feel yourself lagging (because you havent had enough of a rest) it's easy to get disheartened. Either way, I'm reserving judgement on my bootcamp results until next thursday and then I'll post them all here.

Hope you all had a nice run this morning - the weather here in Bris is beautiful!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you're having good weather in Brissie, Hannah; we're almost back to winter here, though today was a nice one.
Would love to know more about your bootcamp; when you do it? part-time or what? As you can see, I know nothing at all about boot-camps! LL