Saturday, March 18, 2006

Whingeless 2:30 Long Run Again :)

Well, you'll all be relieved to know I've taken off my whinging pommy pants ;)

Decided to take Robert Song's advice just to go out and run and enjoy it. Which is what I did. It was also my longest run on my own (2:30 again this week) I didn't cheat too much, although I did stop for water a few times.

Got up at 4am and drove to the regatta, arrived at 5am and started plodding down towards the gardens, where I bumped into Clairie, Glenno, Lizzle and others coming the other way! It was still quite dark at that point so we waved madly and kept on keeping on. The first fifteen minutes of any run I do always seems to feel bad - my legs feel tired. Once I get past about 3kms, I feel loads better.

Ran through the gardens, down past the riverside centre and out to New Farm Park. Did a quick loop and a water stop. I could feel my fuel belt chafing my back (it's quite impressive actually - almost good enough to warrant a photo, except for the fact you'd all have to see my builders bum!) Kept seeing various people I knew run by from the regatta crowd and then bumped into Sam and Cheryl under the Story Bridge... typically, they caught me on a brief water stop as I was walking around the corne LOL. I'd turned around at 1:15, but seemed to be going faster on the way home, since I got back to the regatta about 15 minutes early. Luckily, Siri (I think that's her name? lovely blonde american lady) was out riding her bike and rode along with me chatting as I joined on the extra through Toowong.

Got back to the Regatta and caught Sam for brekkie. I think everyone else was still out running. It was so hot this morning, I felt sorry for them!

I've decided that the only way to deal with my recent bout of woe-is-me about being slow, is to just push harder. So, on wednesday, I'm making it my mission to hang with the pack for the entire run. If I have to sacrifice my dignity and constantly swear/moan/hysterically cry to do it, I'm going to *LOL* (Yes, drama queen through and through!). Every week I push hard, but I can't be far away from being able to do it, surely... they're never more than about 20-30m ahead. Worth a shot, anyway.

Hope you're all having a fab weekend!

8 comments:

Wobbly man said...

Sounds like a great run Hannah! Don't you feel guilty when you get "sprung" walking even though you have just run for the last hour! Why is that?

Cirque said...

I'm not sure I should be talking to you while you have your pants off Hannah, but I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.

Clairie said...

Was sad to see you this morning - you were running in the opposite direction all by yourself. Not the safest thing when it is still dark Hannah *formally told off now*

Good on your for sticking up your chin and getting on with it...but heh we are all human and a good whinge is worthwhile to cleanse the spirit :)

ps. there is no way I could run for more than two hours on my own. I would bore myself with funny (not!) jokes...

Shane said...

Great run Hannah, negative split of 15 mins is pretty impressive.

Good on you for taking a new approach to training, that is the best way, just enjoy what you do. You will certainly notice a difference.

Aki said...

Aww, I didn't think stopping for water was cheating! I cheat in my 3k runs. :)

Good run, keep at it!

CJ said...

We can compare chafing - I get awful chafing on my back from my fuel belt. Getting in the shower after a long run can be very painful but at least I know where I've been chafed!

Anyway good on you for doing your long run - I have days and sometimes weeks where I feel like I'm plodding and then I get unmotivated which doesn't help. I have made a pact with myself to try and enjoy my running - it works most of the time!

Tesso said...

Sometimes its kinda nice to do a long run on your own, just do what you want to do etc. Though don't go telling any of our other running buddies I said that ;-)

Funny the new places one gets chaffing in at times. I had it from a tag on the inside of my top at GC last year, and its a top I'd worn many times in training!

Ewen said...

With the fuel belt, I put 'bandage tape' (the type physios use) on the inside of mine which stopped the chafing.

Stopping for water is not cheating Hannah.