Saturday, March 04, 2006

2:20 Long Run - Mt Cootha

Resting Pulse Rate: 50

Forced myself out of bed this morning at 4.30am, got ready and tried to find something to eat for breakfast that didn't involve dairy or fruit - settled on ryvita and some jam. Yucko at 5am but did the trick! It was actually cold when I got up? Has anyone else noticed that we've suddenly just flipped into autumn?

Met Tracey and Sam at the Regatta and Cheryl joined us for a run over Mount Cootha. I was feeling slightly dubious about the run when we started and Sam and Cheryl went off ahead, but the good part was that it meant T and I could run to our own pace. Hit the start of the 2km hill of doom feeling quite good and bugger me - I ran straight up it! That's the FIRST time I've ever been able to do that without a walk break. *insert jerry springer victory dance here!*

It was a gorgeous running morning, overcast and occasional light drizzle, so the run was nice and cool. No direct sun really, so we chugged our way up and up. I felt sooo much better the whole way than the last time I tried to run it. I think we took fewer walk breaks, and that theory seems to be supported by the fact that we hit the bottom about 25 minutes sooner than the last time (timing to be confirmed - gotta see if I've got the time blogged somewhere!) This theory was sort of confirmed by the fact that we could see Sam and Cheryl ahead of us at some points.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic that it won't be tooo long until I'm able to run the whole of Mt Cootha with no walk breaks. Tracey isn't so sure, but she's still walking less than me, so I think she underestimates us LOL! I feel like I've got the hallelujah chorus playing in the back of my head when I run at the moment - it's just so GOOD to feel so GOOD! LOL! If this is what all these long runs do to you, I'm a very happy bunny!

Got back to the Regatta and still had about 30 minutes left to run of my long run of 2:20 so left the girls to breakfast and headed down towards the gardens (waa!) Bumped into a few familiar faces from the West End along the way and generally counted down until I could have some raisin toast. When I returned, I found I wasn't actually hungry anymore! I've been running without GUs for a while (mostly just because I keep forgetting to buy some) and it seems I can manage up to about 2:30 without them if I need. Though, will prolly experiment with some too, just to see if it makes much of a difference.

IWD run tomorrow. It's going to be a very sore and sorry 5km for me, after all those hills!

4 comments:

Clairie said...

Heh who needs a fast 5km when you can do a long run like that!!! Well done to you. Isnt' it a brilliant feeling to run around this beautiful state of ours with this weather we are having?

Yes long runs and cooler weather will give you some fabulous times and seemingly reduced efforts.

See you in the morning (I'll be the one with all the bags....)

Lulu said...

Sounds like you are improving in leaps and bounds at them moment, Hannah! I'm enjoying the cooler weather in Sydney too.

Shane said...

Well done on getting up that hill, it is certainly a tough one. You are definetly showing some good progress with your new training program, a PB last week and conquering the hill of death this week. :)

Tesso said...

Congrats on getting up that hill non stop Hannah!!!! And you must've been moving to keep those other girls in your sites later on too.

Your body must be working very efficiently not to need a gu for 2 1/2 hrs. Yes, a definite dark sider :-)