Sunday, March 05, 2006

IWD 5km

The International Womens Day 5km Fun Run was actually more like a 5km swim this morning. I think it rivalled the fabled 25km Championship Run that Tess, Clairie, me et. al did last year in terms of the amount of water I breathed in. It was also fairly slippery underfoot, so it didn't make for fast times (or even reasonable ones in my case! LOL!)

Arrived on the bus instead of driving because the parking fees at southbank are pretty monumental and headed to see the bag lady (aka Clairie!) who was as cheerful as normal :) (I almost didn't recognise you dude because you look so different with your hair down!)

Bumped into Tanky who was set and ready to go. Before long we were at the start line. Stupidly I thought I'd stay at the back so the fast runners could get going. Once we started I remembered that for races like this where you've got heaps of walkers and people who've never run before, I'm actually probably not one of back-of-pack runners. I may even qualify as a middle-of-the-packer! Tanky had moved to the front before the start and I cursed myself for not following at least some of the way.

Off we went, with the usual assortment of people wearing thongs, jeans and one or two actually running WITH umbrellas. Open umbrellas, with pointy metal spikes on them. I almost lost an eyeball to one of them... it's so dangerous, they shouldn't allow it. After the 1km mark, people started slowing to a walk around me and I started dancing around people, trying to get to some runners of similar pace. By the time we hit the start of the small hills through the garden I was cheering to myself because I could speed up and overtake.

Radar and the boys in kilts were just bloody hilarious. Priceless. I think that was the hi-light of the run for me! I wanted to stop and tease them all mercilessly, but like a good girl, I pushed on. Just as my legs started to warm up, we were back at the Goodwill Bridge. I can't believe I was actually pleased to see a hill (again, room to overtake!)

Mostly, I just had intentions to enjoy the run and potter along because I knew I'd be buggered after yesterday's long run. My legs weren't actually sore from it (that'll probably happen tomorrow) but I did feel tired. It took the whole 5km for me to warm up and feel half way comfortable. I crossed the line at -wait for it- 32 minutes *LOL* and though I didn't really care, of course Coach Phil had to be standing right on the finish line. As I went past he grinned at me and said, in this particular coachy-how-slow-were-you tone... morning, Hannah *LOL* (yeah, yeah...)

Afterwards, I managed to find Tracey in the masses, and Ronnie and we had a quick chat with Angie, standing under one of the City Cat shades. By that point the rain was blowing horizontally into us and I was starting to shiver. Poor Phil and Di and a lot of the boys were marshalling - all the volunteers must've been absolutely freezing - at least we got to run to warm up (briefly!)

Despite the rain, I quite enjoyed the run, but I don't know if I'll do it again - too many people, too little room to move... I never set out to do a good time or anything, but it drove me a little nuts to have to fend off wayward umbrella spikes, people who stop dead right in front when they decide to walk, as well as people in thongs. I think I've become a bit spoilt being able to run with runners normally! Ah well!

Big thankyou to all the volunteers and marshalls though - fab effort in awful conditions! You're all stars!

6 comments:

Cirque said...

Great report Hannah! I'm glad you're starting to realise you're no longer a 'back of the packer'.

I wish I could have been there to help and cheer but I was freezing my butt off at the Southport Tri.

What is it with this umbrella thing? I had the same problem at the Diabetes fundraiser last year, nearly lost an eye several times. I felt like shouting "it's only water dammit, not acid!" Yes, they should be banned. Shall we start a protest movement?

Tesso said...

That run is always dodgey (but fun) because of the crowds and the narrow pathways, I knew the rain would make it worse. But umbrellas are downright dangerous!

Glad you enjoyed yourself and didn't take it too seriously. Its supposed to be a 'fun run' after all.

Clairie said...

Must remember to put hair up next time :)

Was great to see you before the start. Wish I could have seen you finish but i was just about wet through and everyone was hollering for their bags in a hurry so I got back to the tent before they overpowered my guys. (wish I could have had the volunteers in kilts in my tent hee hee).

A shocking day for it but enjoyable none the less.

Those umbrellas are a no-no. I mean how are you meant to run with them??

I have to admit there was meant to be two starts this morning but in the bad weather it was decided to do just one start - hence all runners went off together. Also the walkers just went whenever they felt like it. I would have too in those conditions :)

Shane said...

I was contacted and asked to help with the marshalling. Unfortunately or should I say fortunately seeing the weather this morning had to work this weekend.

Great report, Umbrella's! that is hillarious yet ridiculous, you wouldn't see that in an International Man's Day :)

Jen said...

Don't be so hard on yourself girl; that's still a good time given yesterday's huge - and tough - run.

Anyway, all that side-stepping around the slow runners and the walkers will come in handy at C2S!

Tamyka Bell said...

I had a girl stop right in front of me in the gardens and bend over to tie her shoelace. I nearly ran straight into her bum! I may have moved forward, but I was still passing people for the first 4km... it was interesting.

Tesso, it's a different course to last year, it was through the gardens this time instead of out to West End. Very new, and with bonus slippery cobblestones.