Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Bit of a bad week!

This week has been pretty gnarly thus far.... track on tuesday night was HELL... sweat pouring into my eyes, lungs burning, heart about to explode and some really *really* tough efforts. Second week in a row where I felt like I was just going to vomit everywhere if I pushed any harder.

Medium long run tonight was similarly nasty. About 15kms of desparately trying to keep up and mostly failing miserably. By the half way mark, I was being pathetic and just about crying on the uphills. Tracey suddenly found her legs and took off (I swear that girl is doing extra special secret training!!!) and I could hardly breathe I was working so hard. Faded by the end, so the lovely Joan came and ran with me. The annoying thing is, once I drop the pace down a bit, I feel fine.

It's nights like this though where that annoying little voice in the back of my head tells me I'm just not getting any better or any quicker, that I'm holding people back and if I was improving in any way, it wouldn't be such a bloody struggle all the time. Argh. Rubbish I know but I'm just in need of a 'good' run - one of those occasional runs that happen out of the blue where you just feel fit and great. I know this is the grunt work, and a 'good' run wouldn't be - but I felt so awful tonight! I had goosebumps, felt shivery and cold, thought I was going to throw up, all over again!

When I finished, I probably drank a litre and a half of water and felt slightly better, even though I drank all the way through the run. I can't even think about eating dinner though. Not that it'll hurt me not to - I'm struggling just as hard with my food, still! Generally, this week, I feel fat and bloated and slow! Fingers crossed next week is a thinner, less slow and more positive week.

With all this horrible, horrible nasty training going on, if I don't do a sub 2 hour half this year, I'm seriously going to have a caniption. I physically couldn't work any harder in the sessions I'm doing, than I am right now!

Did I mention, thus far this week, I've also had one huuuuggeee barney with the next door neighbours, botched a fire drill at uni, been told off by security guards for unknowingly breaching uni WH&S, pranged my car and broken a clients computer?

Yep, next week has to get better!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Ohhh don't you hate those weeks??? Hopefully you have a really nice weekend to make up for it!

Clairie said...

End of the week coming up Hannah.

I love it when all the bad crap happens together....means you can feel crappy all week and then the following week - feels fan-bloody-tastic.

Chin up girlfriend, these are the highs and lows of a runner!

PS. Hope you are having adequate rest in between your runs. Also drink lots of water during the day - hard to do when the weather is getting cooler on us I know.

Take care and see you Sat maybe.

Cirque said...

You poor thing. Next week will DEFINITELY be better.

Tesso said...

As far as I know speed work always hurts Hannah, and if it doesn't then I know I'm not working 100%. So I reckon you had a good night Tuesday!

Don't listen to that voice in your head. You are getting much better and way quicker. The fact that there is room for improvement is a positive thing, you have lots of goals to work towards.

Hey, and I reckon its better to have all the crappy things happen at once, get 'em over and done with rather than spacing them out!

TA and the Gnome said...

Like my grandma always said, Bad things happen in thirty fives... :-)

Every time you think that the peak is too far away, take a look back at how far the valley is below you now.

Gnome

Robert Song said...

What is a good run?

I have some really great runs when I am doing my easy days. These are runs around the 70% Max Hr level. They take little effort and I get into a groove and mentally drift away. Absolutely no pain involved just maximium pleasure and tomorrow's run can't come quick enough. (They used to call it runner's high back in the seventies but you don't hear that term anymore.)

You have to enjoy it. It doesn't have to be a struggle. Slow down and smell the endorphins.

When a lot of other crap is happening in your life, use your running to relax and relieve the pressures rather than adding to them.

As you said last week, looking at your blog from a year ago and what you are doing now, your progress has been amazing.

Shane said...

Jeez Hannah that is a tough week but just think everybody has them. It's part of life, certainly a runner's life, maybe not breaking computers but :)

I had that little guy in my haed last week, very annoying when you tell yourself that you cant do it. Dont listen to it. From your fellows bloggers perspective you are doing great and improving month by month. The 2 hour goal will be a shoe in, I reckon before the GCM you will have it crossed off your list.

CJ said...

Some weeks are like that. Think positive - next week will be great; you will feel fit and fast; and the running gods will be smiling on you.