Wednesday, April 19, 2006

$65 a month shoe habit? argh!0.

Track last night - drills, which was fun - sets of three loop repeats which was not - I'm feeling the effects of my longer runs at the moment and felt like I had concrete boots.

Went to the group run tonight - 14km out to Albany Creek and back *moans* hills and more hills with very few drink stops and very little light. Struggled with the first 5km but gradually warmed up and then on some insistance from coach phil got shoved up the front and managed to keep up with the quicker people for a few kms. Didn't finish at the front, but wasn't at the back, either :)

The benefits of all these looonnggg runs seems to be that at that point where most people are starting to slow down to a reasonable pace, I'm finally starting to feel half decent and hitting my stride. It's quite comforting really, although the first part of a run never fails to feel nasty, the first 3km particularly. I'm thinking, after the marathon is over and I've had a rest, I might try to keep my normal long run at 2 hours or so.

I also think I need new shoes again. My left foot and shin started to hurt a little and I've learnt that's usually a sign that I need new ones. I bought my last pair in early february, before Caboolture - it's now the end of april, so three months worth of running (600kms or so?) and they're stuffed. If this keeps up, that works out to be a $65 a month shoe habit. *rolls eyes* I know, I know - can't do without proper shoes, but at this rate, I'm never going to pay my mastercard off!

Did my entry for GCM tonight too. Got my first real dose of butterflies as I ticked "marathon", too! It's all locked in now ;) I've been catching up on my race entries as well - paid for the brisbane half too - I've decided I might try and stick with the 1:55 pacers, see what happens... bit scared of running with pacers because it's a bit more pressure, but I figure I may even know them, so might as well take my shot. I'm going to combust if I don't break 2 hours, anyway!

5 comments:

Shane said...

Take care of the shins, it is a very frustrating and annoying injury. I know what you mean about the shoes, they dont last long and are way too expensive.

If you have a copy of aprils runners world it has a 4 week post marathon recovery/training program. Dont know how good it is but it looks ok, might be handy. If you are interested and you dont have the copy I will bring it in for you to look at, just let me know.

That is a great idea running with the pace group, you will be more focused on your form and nutrition than worrying about splits etc.

Pace group or not you are capabale of breaking 2 hours.

Tesso said...

Chelle is the 1:55 pacer at Brissie. I'm sure she'd love to have you on her bus.

$65 a month seems a lot until you think its just over $16 a week. Which is less than five cups of coffee at a coffee shop.

Cirque said...

I love Tesso's logic!

The way I justify spending money on running is to think that if you smoked you could easily spend $75 a week on cigarettes. That always puts it into perspective for me.

Looking forward to cheering you at Brissie!

Eagle said...

Glad to see the marathon box was ticked and the entry lodged. The commitement is made and I am sure with your focus and determination it will all workout fine.

Look forward to hearing the sub 2 hours for the half. I will be up foor the marathon so I hope to see you. If I recall you have very much moved on from this time last year when running the 10k was significant. Is my memory correct.

R2B said...

I love the cofee and fags logic too.
Stuff it money comes and goes and so can you healthif you don't work on it!

Keep it up
R2B