Sunday, February 12, 2006

Surfing, 16.1km and dodgy foot

Yesterday I had my first surfing lesson which was soooo much fun! I think a new addiction may have been borne! I had lessons right outside the Southport SLSC where we had the CR get together after the GCM and I found myself getting all excited about this year and remembering how much fun it all was!

I had no idea just how physical surfing is - there were about 15 people in the lesson and I was the only girl matching the boys wave for wave - the other girls turned up in stupid little bikinis and wouldn't go out past their knees (why they were doing surfing lessons, I've got no idea!) I ended up in the washing machine a few times and have bruises in all sorts of places today and tripped myself up on the rope a few times, but I loved every minute of it. By the end of the lesson there were only about four of us left - everyone else was apparently buggered... so being reasonably fit seems to have paid off! It meant I could spend a little longer out there and consequently, by the end of the lesson I managed to stand up for about two seconds. Am now dying to go back and practise! The Lovely Man made me laugh - he played beachboys the whole way down the coast *LOL*

Went to the West End this morning to do the ten mile race. When I woke up it was absolutely pouring and whilst the thought of staying in my lovely warm bed was really, really tempting I remembered the last really rainy 25k we did there and how much fun it was, so got up and got ready. I was also really really REALLY sore from surfing! My core muscles and upper body muscles are screaming!

Arrived just in time and saw Clairie and Tess, Shane, Sam and a few other familiar faces. Sorted myself out and off we went. My goal was just to run the distance because I'm still not quite up to speed after caboolture. Consequently, came in at 1.46 (exactly ten minutes slower than the same run, last year! waaaa!) and ran with Angie the whole way. On the positive side of things, I did collect some more gold bling since I was the only one in my age category running! My foot/hip hurt the whole way though, so I think a visit to the podiatrist is definitely in order :( bugger :(

Us CR's seem to do well in the wet - Clairie, Tess and Shane all scored bling again too! Go, Us! Fab effort Team! :)

Now, I'm off to rest my poor sorry weary self. I'm getting a bit impatient to get up to speed again but I guess that'll come over time... hopefully by wednesday I shall be entirely back to normal!

8 comments:

Wobbly man said...

The surfing sounds awesome Hannah. Its one thing I have never tried but I might give it a go onm my next trip up there! 16kms on a foot that is hurting and with aching muscles? I bet it is just a week or two rest that is needed?

Tesso said...

Ha ha, to get in the mood we used to play the Beach Boys every time we went to the coast back in 19.... er, a while ago :-) Good on ya for not just showing those girls in bikinis up, but hanging in longer than some of the guys.

Now make sure you take it easy for another week or two!!! You ran a marathon and then some last weekend. Just when you think you are recoved these things really do have a habit of sneaking up on you. I'll never forget Pat telling me after GC last year, beware of feeling too good!

Well done this morning by the way, nice sprint to the line :-)

Clairie said...

Heh Hannah you deserved that bling and then some. Was great to see you out there. Good to know who the serious runners are - the ones that aren't afraid of a little rain. Though at 5.55am I was a bit sceptical that my humour would ever resurface. The rain certainly put a damper on everything however it was fine once we got going and warmed up!!

PS. you don't have to mention you were the only one in your category. I wasn't going to tell anyone!!

TA and the Gnome said...

Now Hannah, don't you go getting too involved in that surfing stuff - you can't run if you're always out on the water :-)

sfG

2P said...

Hope you get all the sand out of your ears soon Hannah.

Congrats on the bling ;-)

Katie said...

Surfing!!!! Wow thats exciting! I hope all your sore spots are just little niggles! Take it easy you did a huge run...takes a while to recover! hard to be patient though :-) congrats on the bling!

Shane said...

It was a bling fest yesterday for the CR's, mine however was a bit dull compared to you all :)

It was definently hard to peel myself out of bed when I heard the rain but im glad I went it was actually nice running weather.

You need to rest up, a few days wont hurt the fitness and you will actually be better for it.

The surfing sounded fun, good on you for showing the blokes up

Aki said...

Holy cow, you've got something gold! Awesome!