Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Girl has a Plan!

Went and saw Phil at the Run Inn tonight and got him to look over my training plan, which, I have to admit, has been all over the place. I've really just been running what I feel like running - I don't know if it's come out clearly enough to read, but this is february so far - as you can see, no consistency or plan to it really. Oops!

What I'll be doing in the count down to Gold Coast will instead be based on three runs a week for training. Speedwork on a tuesday, medium long run on a wednesday night and a long run on the weekend (adding in cross training of course - one total rest day a week). Apparently, I'm going to be running smarter, with no more junk kms where I'm struggling just to keep going.... The long runs will also go by time not kms which will be an interesting change for me, mrs-counting-kms!

Basically, the time between now and the gold coast have been broken down into four blocks of five weeks, increasing the long run by ten minutes every week with a temporary plateau between to give my body time to adjust to the distance. The maximum distance I'll run prior to the marathon will be about 35km.

I'm thinking this is going to require a fair degree of discipline from me - particularly in terms of the long runs. So often, there's stuff on during the weekends, races and things that I want to do, that I'm really going to have to think about and work out what I want to do - no more trying to run a reasonable 15kms two days in a row!

I still have to go through and change stuff around on the rest of the calendar, but I'll probably post it when I've finished. I've got a review of the program in four weeks. Phil doesn't know what time I'm likely to get until I recover and start recording times from west end etc, but he thinks somewhere between 4-5 hours is likely.

I signed up for the enticer tri at Bribie this weekend tonight as well. It'll be just for fun and lets hope it won't kill me too badly - I haven't ridden the bike since before I went away! I'm not going to do any running for the rest of the week either, so it'll give me time to get back to the pool and probably have a ride too.

Did a very miserable 45 minute effort tonight, still feeling crap but I've vowed and declared not to complain anymore! Ending on a positive note, the assault on my wobbles is going well :) I may even take a pic of the purple tri suit this time ;)

8 comments:

Random Psychologist said...

Planning is cool! I try to plan...I struggle to make it happen though!

Cant wait to see the progress over the next couple of weeks :)

Lins

Tesso said...

A pgm at last! And it looks good, you'll be starting all your runs fresh which will make a big difference. Its great that he has factored in all your other activities too.

Good luck at Bribie!

Tamyka Bell said...

3 days per week is great and seriously underrated by most runners. Recovery, not training, is what makes you a better runner. Make every session count.

miners said...

Good to see a focus on that GC goal for you now Hannah! But even gooder to see you're still doing the tri this weekend.

Cirque said...

I'm so glad you have a plan Hannah. You work so hard it's a shame to waste it by not working smart as well.

Gee, I'm going to be busy at Bribie cheering for three of you in the same race. Let me know if you want to come with us.

Robert Song said...

Always good to have a plan.

Pity about the junk Ks though. I love running the junk Ks, although I prefer to call them easy runs. No stress, low injury risk and your mind can drift away to wherever it wants to go on a run.

I also feel they have contibuted enormously to my fitness levels and helped me reach all my PBs (10k to 42K) that I have done over the years.

I will now step down from my hobby horse. There are many paths to glory. May you find yours.

CJ said...

Sounds like a plan happening there! And a very sensible one too. I'm in week 11 of an 18 week marathon plan and also running my longest long runs - 34km. Rest days are very important too, and so are quality runs, so you will be wise to select what races you will do leading up to Gold Coast.

This is all very exciting! Looking forward to reading of your progress.

TA and the Gnome said...

...plan...structure...discipline... these are very good things :-) Try to build those races you really want to do into the plan - it gives you some intermediate goals to keep you interested (I'm 3.5 months into a 5 month plan. It's a looong time ifyou don't have intermediate goals!)

sfG