Sunday, February 26, 2006

20k 2:06

Well, I wasn't really too optimistic about today's long run at BRRC - I knew I'd go slower because of the 5k yesterday so it was more a training run than anything else. I actually ran a faster pace when I did the rainy 25km there some time back, but like I say, I hadn't thrashed my legs and been surfing all day before that!

Still, all things considered it wasn't too bad - I felt like I could've carried on doing the pace I was doing (6:18 average - but I had drink stops as well where I walked during that - if I settled into that pace for the entire marathon, I would manage 4:25 which would be absolutely fine with me!)

Arrived at the West End to see all the usual suspects - lots more people there this morning... I suppose with Canberra sneaking up on us, everyone is busy preparing. We set off and as usual, everyone took off ahead. I purposely hung back (let Angie go *grins* she wasn't doing the whole 20k anyway) and just plodded along behind a few people who were doing perfect, bang on six minute pace. I stayed with them for the first 11km or so, then slipped back a bit - let myself walk through the drink stops, which really, I shouldn't have done - but like I say, wasn't really aiming to do today fast. Coach Phil was there, watching and geeing us on! It's amazing how much more pressure you put on yourself when your 'master' is there watching... I'm the same way with my Personal Trainer when we're doing bootcamp - you want to please them ;) a little bit of hero worship never hurt anyone, I'm sure ;)

The lovely Karisma ran her warmdown lap with me on the final loop. I was definitely stuck in the same gear on that lap! Still, consistency is not necessarily a bad thing! We had a good chat and the last 5km passed quite quickly. I think that it'll be interesting to see how I go on the upcoming self select distance (between 7-35km) because I'll make sure I'm fresh for that and I know damn well I can go faster. I learnt so much from yesterday's effort about what happens when I really truly focus - I thought I had been pushing myself, but I seem to have discovered my limits are a little further away than I thought! I think I believe in myself a bit more now - that I can actually go faster with some hard work!

Surfing was good, though it was rough, very choppy with strong currents - and the waves were waaaaayyyyy bigger than last time - but I think every time I go, I'll start to get a little bit better and be able to stand up more!

2 comments:

Robert Song said...

I suprised Karisma had any chat left in her after doing the 20k with me ;-)

I don't think you should be worried about walking through the drinks stations. In a over 4 hour marathon I think it is a good strategy.

Clairie said...

Good to see you out there Hannah. I must have missed you at the start so when I saw you thought you were doing the 10km and hence the umm agro "U should b doing 20km" comment.

Heh girlfriend...the pink suits you.

Forget the self select (I will be marshalling so rest assured plenty of pressure and support from moi) and go for the Club Champs Half mara in two weeks. PB time for you!!