Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Back on Track (well, almost!)

I think I am one of the worlds most impatient people when it comes to this whole marathon recovery process. My brain is absolutely firing on all cylinders and wanting to run, run, RUN... my body on the other hand, still feels rather like it's been hit by a steam train. I know I'll come good, I just feel like moaning, bitching and whinging about it lots. Anyone who'll listen has copped it over the last few days!

My ants-in-the-pants state was heightened last night by the fact that I went to a marathon clinic last night at the Run Inn. Really enjoyed it and got a lot of useful hints and tips out of it. One of which being keeping track of my resting heart rate every day and looking at it in relation to my training to see how I'm going.

It's certainly made me rethink having a crack at the Brisbane Marathon in April.... I'm going to do the half instead. Mostly because the recovery time eats into the training time I have for the Gold Coast and I really want to have a good lead up to that. I'll just have a crack at the half instead. I've also got to sort out which events I want to do and work it out so they don't ruin my long runs. Mnn. Finally getting Phil to look at my program tomorrow - now I've quit the evil temp job I've finally got time!

Went to track tonight.... I think tuesday sessions suit me better... I was a tad apprehensive knowing that I'm still not firing on all cylinders, so went thinking I'd just see how I went and not push too hard. Strangely, I'm able to sprint really hard over short distances and not feel tired (although breathless as hell!) but anything longer, like a 400m repeat just floors me. It must be different muscles groups or something. Psychologically, I always feel like I do better at sprints anyway and I think I just about matched everyone else tonight (except the uber fast boys) so who knows.

I'm dying for the 5km time trial to come around on the 25th, because (fingers crossed!) I'll be back to normal by then and hopefully feeling the benefits of all the kms I'm doing lately!

Hope you're all having a fabbo week!

5 comments:

Tesso said...

Hannah, its only been a week and a half since Caboolture. I usually don't feel 'normal' again for about three weeks after a marathon. And probably just as well, if you feel too good there is a danger you will go overboard and injure yourself.

Patience Grasshopper :-)

miners said...

I certainly am having a fabbo week - thanks for asking.

Glad to know you'll be lining up for one of the races at Brissy marathon - would hate to not catch up with you then :)

Tamyka Bell said...

Hmmm, I spotted a declaration of intent here, something to do with a 12 hour race... just making sure it's recorded ;-)

Cirque said...

Hannah I have to agree with you. Of all your many fantastic qualities, patience is not one of them! :)
I hope you do make it to Bribie this weekend. C2 may be having a shot as well. And don't worry about not having done any bike riding, it's just like .....umm... riding a bike.

R2B said...

Hannah i'm proud of your comments on CR today.Your a remarkable woman!